Chapter 24 : Deception and Realization

Dalton

I don't know how long I've been sitting here. Seconds faded into minutes and then minutes dragged on forever. The soft pitter patter coming from a leaky rusting pipe above me serving as my metronome. The sound is calming, odd enough, but the sound of my satisfied wolf howling its claim in my mind overcomes all with its steadfast devotion.

I can feel that it's starting to become late, the moon rising up to replace the sun triggers my wolf like a blazing white beacon. I don't know what did it, but hell I would be lying if I were to say that I care. I can still feel my mate, my Gem, tied to me. Weaved into my soul like we were meant to be from the start. Her presence has never been more comforting.

Her skittish wolf seeks comfort in mine, the two of them opening up to each other in ways that they haven't before. Both realizing what the outcome of our situation could've been, and allowing their connection to flourish. The near loss of each other fueling them to connect. If anything, my connection with Gem seems stronger now.

Emotions of deep distress, confusion, and most of all fear filter through our bond and come over me in waves. I can tell that these emotions aren't mine, but I know that they're most certainly from Gem. Confusion coming from my own heart becomes present. The two of us shouldn't be able to share emotions like this so freely before we've even fully mated. It could have something to do with the fact that the separation ceremony didn't go as planned.

Having multiple questions in need of answers, and a new burning need to see my mate safe in front of me, I decide to go and see things for myself. I had been to absorbed in my thoughts that I couldn't tell it was most definitely far past the point of the moon replacing the sun. Soft silver rays of moonlight had begun slipping in between the iron bars in front of the only window of the basement. The sky pitch black, stars winking slowly in their blanket of darkness.

Almost as if on que, the heavy metal incased door that's been separating me from my mate rumbles softly as its pushed open. Creating a sound like it hasn't been opened in centuries. Not to my surprise, a calloused hand on the door handle leads to strong tan arms and my fathers figure appears like a shadow. A grim, yet almost relieved expression twisting his facial features slightly.

His eyes glint with a confused yet grateful haze that I've almost never seen on him. If you didn't know my father, you'd say he looks about to shed tears. He nods his head shortly, the gesture aimed towards me.

" Come on out son, we have some interesting news for you. Your mate has already been informed."

The way he speaks gives nothing away. No worry, no fear, not even a hint of speculation. It's like a performance line that's been rehearsed one too many times. A crease of skin forms between my dark eyebrows. What does he mean by 'news'? Immediately, a terrified shiver racks through my body in small tremors. My mind populates a million different scenarios for my situation, and not a single one of them isn't gruesome or hideous to even think about.

I just hope that Gem's okay. A hint of seething anger snags at my heart and toys with my emotions when I swiftly brush by my father to leave the room. As far as they knew, they could've broken the bond between me and Gem completely. This victory for me was a disturbance to their plan. A plan that -had it worked- could've ripped my soul in half. I understand where they were coming from, I've realized that I messed up by doing some of the things I did. But isn't it the parents natural instinct to help their kids through difficult situations, instead of leaving them even more damaged then they were before.