Chapter 22 : What are the Chances?

Dalton

There was a sinking feeling in my stomach the moment my mother called me into the kitchen to talk. She had that look in her eyes. Yeah, I'm talking about that look. That look your mom gives you when you're in deep, deep, deep shit.

         But now, seeing an old and experienced looking witch in my pack house is making that sinking feeling is becoming much worse. It's pretty much basic knowledge that witches have a large number of unusual abilities, however one of their specialties is something that has every wolf blood frightened.

          The ability to take away a mating mark. One of the most sacred things in wolf blood society. For century's witches have been able to deconstruct the two simple puncture marks that declare our life partners and wipe away every other component of them. Including the mixed scent and infusion of blood.

          Back in the earlier centuries, witches were more needed. Cases of forced markings and unwanted mating were much higher then, being as women didn't have nearly the same rights as men. But in this day and age, the removal of mating marks is a procedure that is rarely ever used. If ever.

          There are no words to describe how ashamed I am to be a part of that small almost non existent percentage. Fuck, I know my mom is against this whole situation, but she knows what this means. The mating bond isn't a life changing element to some. It's only a push in the right direction. There is no higher power assigning us together, only raw instinct.

           Without my mark on her shoulder, Gem as I know her will have no real attachment to feel anything but hatred for me. So far, nothing has gone as it does in the elders tales. Gem seems to be almost completely immune to the mating bond, and that along with her spitfire personality is a deadly combo.

             As wimpy as it makes me sound, I have to admit it. I'm scared. I'm scared that after this happens, I'll loose her forever. And I know it hasn't been long- hell, we haven't even had a real civilized conversation before! But I just can't help it, it's not just raw instinct. At least not for me.

             There's this intense need inside of me that I don't understand. The need to see her smile, the need to have her close. In my years I have seen many different woman. It's just that something is pulling me, reeling me in tight. It's like this tie that starts deep inside of the both of us and slowly draws us together.

              Just imagining how our lives could be makes my heart beat beat pulse in my ears. Unraveling all her fears, all her strengths and encasing them in my own. Waking up to her every morning, seeing those beautiful lips make a half awake grin just for me. Good god, I would die a happy man just to hear my name from those red lips of hers one time.

              Looking over to see Gems reaction, my heart clenched in its bony cage. Her breathtaking eyes widened completely, those lips forming a perfect 'o' shape. Before I knew it, she was already investigating.

     " Is that so? And just how exactly do you plan on accomplishing this difficult task?"

          The witch has a gentle grandmother like smile on her face as she pats the couch cushion next to her in a silent invitation to join for a conversation. The crease of skin between Gem's eyebrows smoothes out. She unfolds her long arms and moves them from underneath that mouth watering chest of hers and places them at her side.

           No hesitation in her steps, she makes her way to the couch and takes a seat. Her posture rigid but tall. The brave way she takes on new situations makes a tingling feeling erupt in my chest. I like that about her especially. Deep down inside- maybe not even that far down- I admit to myself that I enjoy her defiance. She makes the primal instinct in me that takes pleasure in the chase surface. We are wolf bloods after all, we need someone that'll always keep us on our toes.