Chapter 9

Mati woke up to a plate of pancakes being shoved in her face.

"Good morning to you too." She mumbled as she stretched.

"Rise and shine! You gotta be to the airport in a few hours." Luke told her.

She grabbed the pancakes from him and sat cross legged on the couch across from him. They ate in comfortable silence, and when they were done, Mati did the dishes and jumped in the shower.

After getting ready to go, they loaded up in Luke's truck and he drove her to the airport. They hugged as she climbed out.

"Hey don't let this guy give you any problems or I'll fly to Chicago and kick his ass!" Luke shouted at her as she walked away.

"Thanks Dad!" She yelled back as she playfully rolled her eyes.

As she sat and waited for the plane, she decided to text Jon.

Good luck tonight! Heard it's snowing in Chicago, can't wait to watch the game under 5 blankets!

She heard her phone go off a moment later, thinking it was Jon already. It wasn't, but a tweet Luke had mentioned her in.

Awesome weekend recording our next spring break album! @matiross @mcarter

He had attached a picture of her in the booth, one of them and Michael, his guitarist, laughing together at Loveless, and one of him and the band in the studio. She quickly retweeted it and awaited her flight.

Jon felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He saw a text from Mati and smiled. He quickly responded back to her.

Now it'll be a lucky game. It's not that bad! Snow is just frozen rain.

She answered right away.

Key word: Frozen. But you live in an igloo so you have no room to talk mister. Gotta board the plane...but again, good luck. I wanna see some goals!

He smiled.

Yeah yeah I guess you're right. There'll be one or two...maybe even three. Just for you.

Jon slipped his Beats on, as they were on the bus to the arena. He sat in sweet solitude, with thoughts drifting to Mati and the game tonight for a few short minutes when he was interrupted by Shawzie plopping into the seat next to him.

"Dude your girlfriend knows Luke Bryan?!"

Jon gave him a look.

"First of all, I'm guessing you're talking about Mati, who is NOT my girlfriend." Yet. "But I don't know, she is in Nashville, maybe she met him or something? We meet fans all the time. How did you even find that out?"

Shawzie pulled out his phone as he explained to Jon.

"I was scrolling through Twitter and I saw some tweet from Luke Bryan and it was a group of pictures and a few people tagged in it. One being Mati." He told Jon as he showed him the pictures. Sure enough, that was Mati with Luke Bryan, and she definitely wasn't just meeting him on the street. This girl was getting more and more interesting.

"I dunno man. I'll have to ask her."

Shawzie seemed satisfied with that answer and went back to his seat, while Jon went back to Drake. He wanted to ask Mati how she spent the weekend with a country superstar, recording and hanging out, but he didn't want to seem needy or clingy or jealous. Plus with her getting back to Chicago the same time they were getting ready for the game,they wouldn't be able to talk until late. It would just have to wait. He had a game to focus on and a girl to score for.

Later that night...

Mati sat with Tess in their living room, yelling at the tv as Jonathan Toews scored his second goal of the game, which conveniently happened to be the game winner against Winnipeg. Mati hadn't said a word to Tess about her and Jon yet, so she tried to hide her glee. The two girls cleaned up their frozen lasagna and wine dinner and got ready for bed. Mati crawled into her marshmallow of a bed and curled up. She assumed she would hear from Jon tonight or in the morning, but couldn't keep her eyes open long enough to find out.

Jon finished post game interviews and found his parents. They always came to his games against the Jets. Since it was a Sunday night, and Jon had a flight to catch, it was a quick hello and good-bye. He hugged them both and kissed his mom on the cheek. As he gave her one last squeeze, she shocked him.

"Next time, I want to meet her."

She gave him a knowing look and walked away.

Jon shook his head in disbelief at his mother's intuition. Was it that noticeable how much he wanted Mati?

As they climbed on the bus, he texted the girl who had him wrapped around her finger already.

2 for you.