Chapter 21

The Hawks won their homestand against Dallas, lost two in Dallas, and then won at home and lost at Dallas again, forcing a game 7 in the first round. The confidence that had surrounded the entire organization at the beginning of the series was quickly fading. Having home ice advantage would hopefully be what they needed to rally to win.

Mati had been careful of what to say or do around Jon, and tried to stay patient with him. She understood the stress was unreal. Her friends and family had offered to drive to Dallas to meet for dinner or come to a game, but both of their schedules were so hectic it hadn't been worth the drive.

Tonight was game seven. Tonight, everything was on the line. Mati could hardly focus all day. All of Jon's stress and nervousness was seeping into her. They both tossed and turned all night. She prayed for a win but a tiny part of her just wanted her boyfriend back from the grips of the playoffs.

But just a tiny part.

It was a half an hour to puck drop. Mati was pacing the press box after escorting some of the Dallas media up there... Jon had offered to get her seats but Tammy was so overwhelmed with coordinating and making sure everyone was doing what they needed to be that she turned them down in favor of helping her boss if she needed it.

The door flying open startled Mati. She wheeled around to see who it was and saw Jamie standing there, trying to catch her breath as she waved Mati over.

"Tazer is looking for you. He wants you to come downstairs." she said between breaths.

"He does?" Mati said surprised. Jon's pregame rituals had been non-negotiable during this run so far and unfortunately, making small talk with her was not included in that.

Jamie nodded. "I ran up here as quick as I could 'cause we're running out of time."

The two girls headed for the stairs and ran down them as fast as possible.

"I'd say we both got our cardio in for the day." Jamie gasped as Mati nodded and tried to laugh as she tried to catch her breath.

Jon didn't know what came over him, but he had this feeling that he just needed one more "good luck" and a kiss from Mati. He was nervous about this game, no doubt. He had captained this team through this so called 'legacy' and he felt the pressure to win a cup once again.

If he was this worked up over the first round, the finals could be brutal.

Jamie, their head trainer, was in the locker room checking in with a few of the guys and Jon had grabbed her and begged her to get his girlfriend. She obliged, but he owed her one.

The locker room door flew open and Jamie hurried in and beckoned to Jon. He made his way over to see Mati standing there, wearing her Toews shirsey. The sight made him smile.

"What's up Cap?"

"I just needed to see you one more time before I get on the ice." he said as he pulled her into a hug.

"You're gonna do amazing, baby. You are Jonathan Toews, Captain of the Chicago Blackhawks. And I am so damn proud of you." she whispered to him. "I love you, Jon."

This was what he needed. His nerves melted away. "I love you too, Mats."

She pulled away from him and kissed him deeply.
"Now go get 'em Cap."

The first period ended scoreless.

Jamie and Mati were standing in the tunnel together. After she escorted Mati downstairs, Jamie had offered that Mati could watch the game with her. She was only needed in case of major injury tonight, otherwise the assistants could handle it.