Chapter 25

Mati and Jon sat sipping coffee at the Frothy Monkey, her favorite Nashville coffeehouse.

She had just hung her phone up and sighed.

"That was Kari. She heard I was in town this week and wants me to get into the studio to record a few demos but I told her I'd talk to you before I agreed to anything..."

Jon shrugged. "Can I come with?"

Mati looked confused. "I mean sure if you want to but do you really want to sit around and listen to me record for half a day?"

"You sat at tons of practices. And besides, I've only heard you sing at home."

They decided to be tourists for the first day. They went to Belle Meade and wandered around Franklin. Mati gushed over every old house and Jon promised to buy her one someday.

Sooner rather than later. Jon promised himself.

A day later, Jon watched intently as Mati performed for an invisible crowd. He watched as she swayed as she sang into the microphone in front of her.

She was worried he would be bored watching but it was the opposite. Her voice gave him chills on the high notes and he wondered if this is how she felt watching him play hockey. It made him happy watching her do something she was passionate about. Job or not, she loved it.

Later that night they walked arm in arm down Broadway, listening to the music and stopping in the gift shops. So far, Jon had bought her a teddy bear that said Nashville and a photo strip from a booth at Margaritaville. Something for her to cuddle up with and something for her to look at when she missed him.

He had argued when she tried to buy the Predators shirt. He asked her if she thought they needed new dish rags when she picked it up.

"I can see why you love it here." Jon interrupted her thoughts as they wandered by the river walk.

"We don't go many places when we're in town...I'm glad I get to explore it with you."

Mati smiled and stood on her tiptoes to kiss him.

"I'd explore the whole world with you."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Jon groaned as the sunlight hit his eyes.

"Wake up sunshine. I have a surprise for you for our last day here."

She tossed some clothes at him.

Mati was fully dressed. And fully nervous.

They ate lunch at the Loveless and went to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

"I can't wait to come see your picture here someday, Mats."

Mati blushed.

"Yeah, that'll be the day."

Jon frowned. "It'll happen. I have a feeling."

Mati sighed. "Alright but after we come see my picture here, we're going to see yours in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Or whatever y'all have." 

Jon laughed.

Later that evening, the pair was enroute to some unknown destination. Or at least, unknown to Jon.

They pulled up to a strip mall looking building.

"We're going shopping?"

"No silly. We're going to the Bluebird."

Mati pointed to the building attached to the end. There was a long line waiting to get in the doors, but Mati flashed a pass and got the two of them in right away.