Seven

It was almost 5 in the afternoon when Max was called by the crew.

"Maxine Reeves? C'mon, it's your time now."

"All right."

"Wait. You have to wear a dress, dear. Something decent." the female crew looked at her shorts and pink shirt.

"O-of course. Of course."

"Be ready in 5 minutes." the female crew closed the door and left Max. Shoot, a dress? Formal? Max immediately went to the walk-in closet and search for a dress. There were 3 dresses-2 found her taste in there, thank goodness. She picked the one with a soft pink vintage dress and matched it with a sleeveless denim jacket. She wore the flesh colored ballet flats and took the straw fedora that her brothers brought for her (that she really really like). 

She look at herself at the mirror and angled her head as she tugged the denim jacket. She touch her brown pixie hair before she place the fedora on her head. She like what she saw: casual, cool but still feminine. It was her.

"I'm ready." Max said, giving a smile and hope that the crew would approve. The female crew member(Haley is the name), looked at her from head to toe before she gave a nod.

"That'll do. You need the makeup though. Kisha! We need make up!".

"Okay. You're scene would be by the beach. And you'll just act there-looking at the sea, sitting-whatever. Make it casual." the man that would look like Gordon Ramsey if he hadn't had a thick black hair gave Max orders. Max nodded before she walk away. She looked at the crew members who seem ready for the shooting.

Thus, the shooting began. Max began to walk on the sand. The flats didn't felt natural for her so she took them off and began walking again. She looked at the sea and thought of her dad and her mom.

"Cut! That was quite nice, dear. Okay, you need to sit on those stairs and do what you did."

Max nodded. And she did it again this time, she almost cried just thinking of her mother.

"Cut! She started crying. Uh--Kisha please. Watch her make up for me."

"I'm sorry. I just got sentimental that's all. I'm fine-okay. It's good. We're good."

After 30 minutes of shooting, Max went to another room of the Mansion. This time it was small with carpet flooring, a green screen was at the middle of the room with cameras in front of it. She was told to sit on the stool which she did.

"So, tell us something about you, Max from the Bronx." a woman in her 30's, sitting behind the camera, began asking her questions. Mac couldn't see her with all the lights.

"I'm Maxine Reeves. Max is what they usually call me."

"Do you like your name?"

"Y-yes. "

"What do you do?"

"Uhm...I do work-I I mean-"

"No. Don't stutter, please. Have confidence in yourself. Let's begin again. From the first question."

Max nodded and gave an exhale before she tried again. "I'm Maxine Reeves from Bronx, New York. Max is what they usually call me and I like being called Max."

"I have multiple jobs a day. I'm a waitress. I also teach kids play music. I'm a bartender at night. If there was any side jobs, I assist in photo shoots in fashion magazines."

"Why do you work so hard?"

"Well, ever since my father died of cancer, I've became a breadwinner of the family. My mom works before but, then her heart seems to slowly function now."

"Why join the show?"

Max was caught off guard. Oh no. I can't say that I was forced to join the show. I can't tell them that my stupid brothers signed me up for this. "Well, during the time when my father was still alive, the love of my parents was unconditional and true and I've always been jealous of that."

"You left your family and your life to come here. Is this really important to you?

 "I just think it's time for me to find time for myself and for that love that I've been jealous of. The show is an opportunity to have me those things."

"Give us a sample what you do when you are a bartender." The woman demanded and Max nodded. She was lead to another place in the mansion-a mini bar. She showed tricks in mixing drinks and saw that they were impressed.

"That would do. Thank you, Maxine."

"I'm tired." Max let herself fall to the bed. 

Casey looked at her with a cucumber beauty mask by the vanity area. "You can't sleep. There is one last thing we have to do."

Max looked at Casey and pout. "Right. We got to meet Ian."

"What's with that reaction? It's Ian! Ian Montgomery."

"Right. Right. Ian! Ian Montgomery." Max forced some excitement to her tone.

"I need to change. They say everyone should wear black today."

"Black?" Max rose up and remembered the only black dress she brought. That little black dress. I have to wear that one?!"

The door opened and a male crew member called them out. "You got 10 minutes to prepare and then proceed to the lobby, ladies. He closed the door before Casey could leaped.

"Ah! It's time! It's time!" Casey hurriedly went to the walk-in-closet. Max lied on her bed, staring at the ceiling with her arms spread wide.

"This gotta be good." Max murmured.