Twenty-four

Ugh. It's one of those nights again. Max said to herself as she looked at the woman in a glittery dress in front of the mirror. The more she stayed at the Mansion, the more she hated elimination nights. She hated to see friends go.

This elimination maybe one of the hardest scene she would ever see. It was both Sophia and Rose that didn't get a rose. Sophia shared that there was no chemistry at their date by the movies. Rose, on the other hand, felt tired of impressing Ian. She wouldn't mind if she was to go, she added. Although she would hate the fact to see that smirk on Brittany's face when she would see them in front of everybody, holding nothing but each other's hands.

All of them went down with all their glittery dresses. Brittany walked like she was going to win a beauty pageant and wearing -Rose was right- that smirk on her face.

Max watched the two ladies standing in front of the crew, Mr. Anderson and Ian, looking rather dashing in his gray designer tuxedo.

"The scene would play in 3, 2,1" the clapper board clapped and everyone went silent. The lights focused on the two ladies as Michael Anderson said his lines, flashing in front of him.

"Who would it be? Who would receive the rose and stay for the final 5 in She's One in a Million." Mr. Anderson said, in his natural cool tone. The crew immediately rushed to his side and to the other girls, wiping their sweat and fixing their make up before the scene began to roll again.

These heels hurt. How are they able to stand up for hours with those heels?  I couldn't stand in these even for 5 minutes. Max wondered, looking at each of the girls 5 inched heels. But, as she saw Ian picking up the red rose and approaching the girls, the thoughts of her feet hurting was forgotten. She always feel heavy in her chest whenever Ian decides who to choose and thought that if ever society is going to be this way-making the man choose who to date as the ladies wait for them-then she doesn't want to become a part of it.

But then again, this is a competition. There is no reality in here but rather scripts and pretentiousness and making the ladies feel inferior of themselves whenever they don't get a rose.

Ian took a deep breath and looked at both of them. After a minute, he finally gave the rose to Sophia. Max and Casey exhaled, their voices croaked when they saw Sophia and Rose embracing each other with tears in their eyes. Sophia took the rose and went with the other girls where Max and Casey embraced her.

Rose was a teary but she still managed to give everyone her beautiful smile. Ian offered to gave her an embrace and she took it gradually. He whispered something on her ear, making her laugh a bit before she wipe that tear off her cheeks. She turned around and went to Sophia, Max and Casey and embrace them. She gave them a wave of good bye before she turned around and left them.

That night, Max couldn't sleep. She could stare at the ceiling with her thoughts swimming in her head, replaying the scene ago. When she decided that this wouldn't help her, she finally sat up and went down stairs to have a glass of milk. It has always relaxes her to drink one even though she is a fully grown woman.

She sneaked out of the room and went silently, towards the kitchen. Finding no one there, she took out a glass from one of the cabinets and went to the fridge to take out a carton of milk. The moment she closed the door, she was startled to see a tall figure near her in a black silk gown.

"AAHHH!"Max screamed, almost spilling the milk. She realized it was Emilia. Her screamed made Emilia startled a bit too, her eyes widen. "S-sorry. I didn't know someone was here."

"I'm just here to get a glass of milk." Emilia said, her voice full of authority.

"Me, too." Max gave the carton to Emilia.

"You haven't had yours yet."

Max looked at her empty glass. "Right." She poured in the milk and handed the carton to Emilia. She nervously drank the whole milk in one gulp. She wasn't sure whether the thought of having an unknown figure scared her or the thought of having Emilia in one room.

This is the first time I am with her in one room. It is indeed both scary and intimidating. Max thought. "So, quite a night, huh." Max said, trying to erase the uneasiness in the room.

Emilia looked at her, her eyes looking down on her. "I guess."

Max nodded slowly. "Drama. Pssh." Shit. What should I say?

"It's unavoidable. It's a show."

"That is absolutely right. I couldn't agree more." Max chuckled nervously.

Emilia finished her milk and placed them on the sink. Max watched her, holding on her empty glass.

"Thank you for the milk." Emilia said, looking straight down on Max.

"I...sure. Of course."

"I've always wanted to talk to you. You seem like a lot of fun." Emilia said before leaving Max. Max could only stand there, stunned.

She-she wanted to talk to me? I-I'm fun? Max could try to leap but it'll be weird. We are entering the top 5 and things have gotten fun and interesting lately. Max thought before she went back to bed and smiled on her sleep.