Thirty-seven

"Table seven! Hey! Move it, will ya? There's a lot of hungry customers out there!" Beatrice shouted at the two new crew of her kitchen from the kitchen who has been chatting by the counter for 15 minutes now. "These little-ugh." She went back to her bacon and flipped it with her spatula with the other one and with her free hand, opening the waffle machine. 

She thought of Max that morning and how the diner would always look lively with her around. She would almost be gliding by the counter, taking plates after plates, talking to the customers, giving them not only good service but a good start for their mornings.

And yet, she was dragged by her brothers to that so-called reality show where the ladies have to make a millionaire guy fall for them. Not that she was angry that she lost an important crew in her kitchen but she was not informed that she left. Not until she heard from her brothers and at first she refused to believe it but then she saw her on t.v with blushing cheeks and eyeliner and talking about cheesy things on how great the guy is or how bad their date went by. It was unlikely of Max to talk that way. She knew the kid when she went to her 5 years ago, looking for a job. She never talk about men nor dates. Even if she does, it was always about sad memories.

"Waffles! Joey!" She shouted and rang the bell after. She got two eggs in her refrigerator and cracked them through the bar counter and beat them into a bowl. I wonder how that kid is doing? I saw how she was being laughed by the girls last night. That poor kid must have wanted to drown herself on the water. But, no. I know she wouldn't.

"I got some two bacon and eggs and chocolate waffles." Joey, the new crew went to her kitchen.

"Yeah. Okay."Beatrice nodded and proceed to pouring the omelette on the hot pan.

"Wow. That smell of omelette is giving me nostalgia of this breakfast diner." A voice came and Beatrice was about to wave her away but looking at a familiar friend of hers made her stop what she was doing and almost made her burst into tears.

"Watch out!" the friend said, rushing towards the range cook and fired down the stove. "Don't burn such a good omelette."

"Max?" Beatrice said her name,stunned. Max replied with a smile.

"Hi, Betty."

"You went out of the Mansion?!" Beatrice asked, almost shouting. 

"Shh!" Max warned, putting a finger between her lips. She looked around to see if anybody heard it. "Yeah. I went out. I couldn't do it anymore."

"Were the girls really mean to you?"

"No. Actually, they were very nice. I made friends there."

"Oh. Well, it'll be unlikely of you to run away with such things. So, what made you leave then? Oh-wait...I know. You don't need to tell me. You fell for the guy, did you?"

Before Max could give her answer, someone grab her by the shoulders, letting her face the young man she has known for years now. 

"Justin!" Max jumped out from her seat and embraced her best friend. "Oh my god! It's so great seeing you again, man!"

Although stunned, he still managed to return her embrace. He pulled her away from him and looked at her from head to toe. "Wow! You-you-you're here! You're actually here, Max! I miss you so much!" He chuckled before he embraced her again.

"C'mon, guys! You're making me cry here." Max chuckled.

"When did you get back?"

"Just last night."

"S-so what? Is it done?"

Max shook her head as she sipped on her coffee. "No. There are only two left now."