Chapter 44

3 Days Earlier

The island was in the middle of Lake Huron, between Michigan and Canada. It was owned by one of Damian's ancestors, but had long since been forgotten, until now.

At the center was a large estate, it would be able to fit all of his pack with their own rooms until they could start producing more houses. There was a dock with a ferry on each end of the island, one that would allow them into Canada and another into Michigan. The house, though dusty, had been well preserved and much of the furniture was still intact. They settled in nicely. Damian allowed them to choose their own rooms, but no one touched the master bedroom, it was understood that it belonged to him.

While his small, broken pack explored the grounds, he stood in the old Victorian style room, trying, unsuccessfully, to make it be home. There was something foreboding about the room. He wondered about the ancestor of his that had once slept on the large bed.

"It needs a woman's touch." Regina commented. She was draped on the door frame, her arms crossed over her breasts, making them bulge just slightly.

He took in the intricate patterns stitched onto the rug and the thick tapestries by the window. "You're probably right." He agreed casually.

"I'm always right."

He was very aware of her presence, it filled the room like the discharge of a smoker's cigar. Oddly enough, it didn't annoy him, but rather, comforted him. The strength of her presence made the room less foreboding, but not any more inviting. He found that he'd rather share a room of loneliness than room alone.

"Do you know where you'll be staying?" He asked.

She shook her head, "I haven't picked anything yet."

He glanced at her, and to the rest of his room. "Would this be to your liking?"

She opened her mouth, but was slightly stunned. It took a moment for her voice to catch up. "I guess, but where would you go?"

He flashed her a particular smirk, one that he'd saved specifically for her before things got complicated.
She hadn't seen it on him since the engagement had first been announced. From her gaping expression, he knew he didn't need to say anything, he simply walked the perimeter of the room. Casually.

"You want me to stay in here... with you?" She asked cautiosly.

"Why not?" He stated blankly, trapping her with his green eyes.

An excited small grin crept onto Regina's face. She wanted to approach him and lean her body against his like she used to, with his hands on her lower back accompanied by kisses, like before. His gaze still sent shivers through her, but it was cold and uninviting. Though Damian had only been an alpha for a day and a half, he settled into the role so naturally it was as if he'd always been in charge. So, she kept her distance.

Only the mate, and occasionally the upper ranks, can approach the alpha without permission. Anyone else would be subject to swift punishment for disrespect.

Regina wasn't his mate.

Yet.

Now that Kayla was out of the picture, she had her chance again. This time, nothing was going to get in her way. There was still heartbreak fresh in his eyes, as it was with the whole pack, everyone lost someone, but soon it'd be okay. They could ease each others pain, and in the process he'll forget about that Pelisian princess. Better yet, she'll be a bad memory. She'll be the source of all this heartache and pain, and Regina will be his salvation.

"I'll help you forget your troubles, Damian." She purred.

His jaw popped, and for a second his eyes flitted to a bookshelf with dusty pages. One in particular seemed to jump out, the gray dust clinging to its purple velvet spine, and yet the golden letters still gleamed.