Chapter 17

The Ballroom was beautiful, decorated with beautiful gold highlights, sparkling chandeliers and exquisite paintings of dancing angels. Balloons and gold streamers had been hung up by the student government. In the lobby, was a gentle fountain of angels, perfect for pictures, surrounded by tables of fancy little sweets. On the table, was a small replica of the fountain, spewing out chocolate with red strawberries waiting to be dunked. A Dj blasted upbeat music that promised to keep the upperclassmen of Mountain View entertained all night long.

The dance floor was surrounded by the tables, with white cloths floating over them gracefully. Drinks were brought regularly, by heavenly looking waiters. There were doors on one end that led to a breath-taking patio, and prosperous gardens to explore for a breath of fresh air from the stuffy dance hall.

Amid all the colors of dancing students was Amarie and Cody, dancing with wide smiles, the other cheerleaders crowding around them giddily. Kayla watched them sourly. She brought a glass cup to her lips and took a sip of cool, bloody, fruit punch. It occurred to her suddenly why Amarie must love to be with her cheer girls all the time, they were the only ones she could boss around. In the pack, she was subject to the Alpha's rule, and Kayla's words, but with them, she was the queen. The song ended abruptly and another started. Amarie had noticed her cousin, together, her and Cody approached arm in arm.

Damian was on the edge of his seat next to her, he was uncomfortable. Everywhere he looked were Pelisians or student rivals, and they all glared at him suspiciously. So far, there'd been no sign of his cousins, thankfully, and he was beginning to feel like this was a waste of an evening.

"How are you enjoying yourself, Kayla?" Amarie asked with a hint of sympathy in her tone. She felt terrible for her. For the past two hours, Kayla had been sitting at the table miserably, not dancing, not even talking. While the Serius heir took up the space next to her, quietly enjoying some sweet treats and drinks. They wouldn't look at each other all evening. Many times, while dancing with Cody, Amarie caught Kayla's longing gaze, and she couldn't bring herself to get closer to Cody like she wanted too, not with her watching like that. It was just wrong, no girl's prom should ever be this miserable, especially the first prom, or, in Kayla's case, the last.

"I'd much rather be studying for a final than sitting here." She sounded like she wanted to shoot herself, Amarie didn't blame her.

"You just need to dance", Cody said sweetly. Damian's eyes flashed over to him as he reached for her hand. "Come on, we can have the next song."

"She's not dancing with anyone." Damian interrupted.

The boys exchanged foul looks, "I've got news for you, Serius: This is a high school prom, you're supposed to dance. What'd you come here for if you had no intentions of that?"

"To make you feel miserable." Damian replied coolly.

"Well, she doesn't have to take that, and she doesn't answer to you, you're deep in Pelisian territory right now. If she wants to dance, you can't stop her."

Kayla stood from her seat taking the shawl off her shoulders. "He's right you know." She said to Damian, "You don't dictate my life, we're not married, yet." She gnarled the last word savagely.

"Why don't you give him a kiss while you're at it, and start a war." He declared absently spinning the ice in his drink.

She froze remembering her night with Cody on the summit. He couldn't possibly know about that, he'd been nowhere near them when it happened. Cody narrowed his eyes at Damian, a thin triumphant smile formulating on his lips. The kiss has already been done.

"Try not to get too jealous, Dear", she recited tunefully. Her slender hands rolled her thin shawl into a tight ball and tossed it into his face. "Hold that for me."