Chapter 29

Damian drove all day and all night, stopping only for gas, and coffee to stay awake. He was exhausted, his eyes were drooping, and he kept slouching. The sun moved across the sky, and sank in the horizon behind him. He went over the crumbs in his bread trail, again. It was a tricky business, he didn't want to be too obvious because he risked having them fly forward and cut them off, but he didn't want to confuse the trail too much either. Already, Kevin knew the model of car they were in, he chatted with the cashier at the gas station and revealed that he was traveling East. He also went as far as to purchase a little go-phone (since his cellphone had been taken when he was in the mines) and left his information with the cashier. Soon, any call he made on that would be traceable by Kevin when he learned the number.

He exited the freeway at the next city. He was glad that he could slow the car down and only needed to find a place to turn in for the night. At a stoplight he glanced at Kayla in the passenger seat. She was using his sweatshirt as a blanket, without his permission. Her head was resting against the window of the car, eyes closed tightly. Every now and then, she seemed to sigh contentedly and twitch in her sleep. She'd changed her attitude, he still saw glimpses of the self absorbed queen-in-waiting sometimes, but other than that, she was just proper, nothing but good manners with a classy kind of aura. A lady. He thought it was interesting, since the girls he was used to were Trixie's friends. They couldn't spell the word respect, let alone treat themselves to some if their life depended on it.

He wondered what she might be dreaming about. As he watched her, he found his eyes traveling the rest of her face. Over her prominent cheek bones, smooth beige skin, full bow shaped lips, that were pink like flower petals, and looked as soft and sweet as marshmallows. Down his green eyes went, past her pointed chin, to the curve of her neck. Past that, she had the makeshift blanket, his sweatshirt, shielding her. Part of him was tempted to pull it aside, just a bit, so he could see more.

He shook his head and turned away. What was he thinking? She wasn't ugly, in fact, he could begrudgingly admit that she had a prettier face than some of the girls in his pack, but she wasn't his type. He liked his girls to be not Pelisian. He had decided that there was no reason to hate her, and forced himself to tolerate her bratty nature, as it wasn't her fault--she was raised that way and had no idea how to act otherwise--but he still didn't feel inclined to completely befriend her. They were too different, and as soon as they got home they'd have to go separate ways. He knew for a fact that their engagement was definitely off, the contract was broken the second she was taken and Raul slaughtered. So he pushed away ideas that his other head suggested.

The light was taking forever to turn green. He found himself thinking about Regina, and his cousins. Were they working with hunters too? He couldn't see Regina or Trixie doing that, they were both terrified of them. Trent liked to folllow the rules, so he wouldn't dare, either. But Travis, he was a wild card.

Were they thinking about him right now? Were they regretting helping Kevin in his dirty plot to kidnap Kayla?

He yawned, way too tired to keep driving, he needed to find a place to sleep soon. Spots were starting to cloud his vision. If only the radio worked, he would turn it on and blast something loud and annoying to keep himself awake. He thought about waking Kayla, and getting her to talk to him about anything, maybe she could say what she was dreaming about. He almost forgot to stop at the next light. That was the last straw.

He reached over and hesitated, then he remembered that she wasn't the murderous type when woken up. He poked her shoulder.

"Rise and shine, princess." He muttered.

She moaned and tried to brush him off. He didn't stop. Finally, she opened her eyes in pure annoyance.

"What's your problem?" She groaned.