Chapter 47

At the farmhouse, Kayla pressed all her weight against a door, trying hard to keep it closed while Travis banged against it on the other side. The howl was powerful enough to make them both pause, especially Travis, since it was his alpha's voice. She took that chance to jump away from the door, without her weight to hold it up, it fell under Travis. He landed hard on the floor. She stomped on his face, snapping his nose in half and knocking him out. Damian's howl had died down by then, but he had sounded so distraught that she felt she should go to him. She dragged Travis into a closet and locked him inside.

Before she could even start getting down the stairs, the front door burst open. She froze, Kevin looked up at her, he didn't give his signature grin, instead, he glared with one eye, while the other was closed shut and throbbing.

She twisted around and ran down the hallway. He bound up the stairs after her, skipping steps two at a time. She skid into a bedroom and tried to slam the door, Kevin barreled into it before she could. He grabbed her arm and yanked her toward him, nearly popping her shoulder out of its socket.

"Call for Damian." He ordered.

"Fuck you!" She snarled. She did not need anyone to save her, she was determined to defend herself and proved it by swiping a deep gash into Kevin's cheek with a clawed hand, and sending a knee into his groin a blink later.

He toppled over. As she started to move away he pulled on her ankle and her chin collided onto the hardwood floor of the bedroom, making her brain rattle. Before he could drag her across the floor under him, she grabbed the sheets of the bed and threw them over his face. He began thrashing around wildly, a bookcase fell over, spilling it's knickknacks over the Pelisian heir. Down the stairs, Damian entered through the decimated door hurriedly. The crashing told him where they were right away, he shot to them. The white sheet draped over his brother's entire body furled wildly with his movement, Damian increased his speed and collided into him with all of his weight and strength, slamming Kevin flat to the ground. He heavily stepped over him, reaching a hand to help Kayla, but she ignored him and helped herself up.

They both looked as if they'd been through a shredder. She was covered now with baggy overalls, a large long sleeved plaid shirt, and socks. But her hands reflected what the rest of her skin looked like under the clothes, swollen and layered with burning red hills. There wasn't an inch of smooth surface on them. The gash along her jawline left a wide trail of blood down her neck, her chin had split open when she fell, and a bruise on her temple was beginning to purple. Damian could barely stand well on his own, he leaned against the wall for support. His breathing came in ragged gasps, and there was a very abnormal shape in his torso. He had black, blue and even a couple green bruises everywhere, with open gashes. He spit more blood out of his mouth so he could talk.

"She's dead now." He said to his brother.

Kevin got the sheet off and looked to Damian. For the first time, there was actually sorrow in his eyes, but bitterness quickly took over. "I didn't want to do that, but it was her fault."

"She was defending her alpha!"

"Exactly. She made her choice, and she chose you over me." He stood and eyed the two with contempt.

Damian blinked back at him. "She was your mate?"

"She was supposed to be." Kevin growled. "But she decided she'd rather be with you. The girl that's supposedly meant for me, didn't even want me. She preferred my brother over me, just like everyone else." He wrinkled his nose. "Legends say that when your soul mate dies, you feel it, even if you haven't consummated your connection. Turns out that's true." His one eye locked on Kayla. "Care to see what that's like, baby bro?"