Chapter 35

Eva sped back onto the main highway. The hunters found her and followed her closely, assuming their targets were still in the black Honda. She lead them on a mad chase all over the town, until the trucks split into two teams. As she sped down one road, some of the trucks suddenly appeared in front of her, blocking the way. Behind her, they were starting to close in.

There was only one thing left to do.

She took a deep breath, gathering her courage, and twisted the car in a 90 degree turn. She drove off the road, and straight into the clothing store where she'd talked to Damian for the first time yesterday.

Clothes of all types stuck to the windshield, her car jumped violently, tossing her around inside of it. The seat belt burned into her skin. Then it came to a full stop when it crashed into the back wall of the store, right after running over the fitting room.

The sudden loss of motion sent her flying foward, but the seat belt saved her life, giving her only a severe burn across her chest, up to her neck. The airbag also exploded out, delivering a punch that left her with a bruised cheekbone and a bloody nose. She leaned back with closed eyes, too dazed and satisfied with herself to care about the soreness and injury she'd sustained.

The trucks pulled up behind her and the hunters jumped out with guns and knives drawn, rushing the car, eager to get to the lobains. Kevin had joined them too, his clothes covered in fresh blood. He approached the black Honda, but there were no signs of the heirs anywhere. They were gone.

He snarled powerfully and punched the side of the car, worsening the wound on his hand. He hated being outsmarted by Damian, and he realized they'd just been lead on a wild goose chase.

"Find them." He commanded. "They can't be far, don't stop until you've turned over every inch of this town."

The hunters scurried off immediately, wrecking havoc to find their prey. At the register a parrot cawed loudly, eyeing Kevin suspiciously. "Wolf! Wolf!"

He growled at it, wondering how on earth it had survived when a car had crashed through, and why it hadn't flown away. The red parrot only bobbed his head mockingly.

Stupid bird.

He was about to go track the heirs, when he noticed one hunter still standing in the decimated clothing store. It was one of the older individuals, staring at the driver of the car.

"Is there a problem?" Kevin asked in annoyance.

The hunter glanced at him, and then back at the girl. It'd been years since he'd seen his daughter, she had gone from girl to woman. He pulled a flask out of his waist and forced hard liquor down his throat.

"No problem at all." He replied gruffly, leaving the her and the car behind. "We lost this car on one of the small roads, I say we start looking over there, they could be hiding somehwere out there."

Kevin nodded approvingly.

"Wolf! Wolf!" The bird continued to shout, but they ignored it. Both hunter and lobain abandoned the store and walked out amongst the town that was fast in ruins. Alarms were going off everywhere, people were crying. The tiny law enforcement building was shattered, it's sheriff downed in the line of duty, while the fire department was in flames.