Chapter 28

He was right. Their parents had failed, and they knew it. That's why they tried to force the solution through their children, but of course, that was not the way either. After they had devoured their dinner, they returned to their room and awkwardly prepared for bed.

As Kayla rolled up in her covers, she reflected on the dinner conversation.

"I'm not saying we have to like each other. But we certainly don't have to hate each other over nothing." Damian had said.

For the first time, she saw some light at the end of this terrible rivalry. The answer was to stop being spoonfed mindless hate.

"Why did you and your friends always harass us?" She asked.

He groaned in response. He had just been starting to sleep when she woke him up.

"I think that we did it because it was expected of us. When you constantly tell someone they're bad, they start to believe it." He replied in a deep, sleepy voice.

She thought for a second, her pack had done some terrible things too. They constantly vandalized Serius homes, trashed their valuables, and walked over them like dirt. But no one in her pack, not even she, at one time, ever stopped to realize that it was wrong to behave so violently. They felt justified in their actions, because everyone praises the Pelisian Pack for nobility and honor, and they believe they're good. Despite the truth that they are just as bad--if not worse--as their rival pack.

"I'm sorry about your brother." She whispered quietly. "He is to you, what Raul is to me. I can't imagine how much it must pain you to see him turn so dark."

Damian stiffened considerably. His tender memories of wrestling and playing with Kevin as a child contrasted with the last image he had of his brother: Murdering and torturing people of Bermuda, and working with the Hunters that had devastated his pack years ago. When had Kevin changed from the goofy older brother, to the evil traitor in search of blood?

"I'm sorry my brother hurt Raul." He said quietly.

She blinked. "You can say that he's dead, it's the truth."

"Would you prefer that, Princess?"

"I don't take well to liars."

"I don't take well to criers."

She scowled. They faced opposite directions on their separate beds. He gazed at the curtains in the window, she stared into the mirror over the sinks. Neither of them could sleep, the couple making violent love next door, didn't help.

"Scott wanted to give you a hug." She said, drowning out their loudening passion with her voice.

"Did he ask you to do it for him? Cause I'd rather you didn't."

"I wasn't, I figured telling you is the same."

He smiled to himself, feeling the little bracelet on his wrist warm him up. "He's a good kid." He said. A passionate, breathless shriek suddenly burst through their wall. He sighed. "I wonder if these two will have one?"

"Don't talk about... them."  She warned.

"Why? Does it make you umcomfortable?"

"Yes! It's disgusting."

"It's natural."

"Not in a place like this." She insisted. "There are other people around, and these walls are like paper."

"Some would argue that makes it more exciting."

"Like who?" She scoffed. "You?"

She saw him shrug in the mirror. She narrowed her eyes. "Well, with a girl like Regina all over you, I'm sure you know plenty about that departmet." She knew for a fact he did, she'd seen them together before, the way Regina draped herself over him like a cloth. It was obvious. They just hadn't completed the binding act.