Chapter 49

The little envelope felt like the heaviest piece of paper in the world. Kayla's amber eyes were stuck on the return address, neatly typed in straight black letters on the left corner. It looked so mature, and she couldn't put a face to the alpha whom it came from. Then again, Damian had been only an heir when she knew him. Now, he sent professional envelopes with typed addresses, he couldn't afford to waste time handwriting something for someone that was not of his pack.

He had outgrown her in a day.

She resisted the urge to rip it open and see what it said. It was addressed to her father. An alpha like Damian didn't have time to write a letter to an heir like Kayla, he had much more pressing matters to handle. His only communication with her pack had to be through the Pelisian alpha, Anthony. She sighed and carried the envelope into the penthouse, toward her parents who were enjoying a quiet moment lounging on plush sofas in the living room, by a big window that looked over the city.

After they'd moved, her father quickly began working in one of the law firms. Within a few weeks, his confidence and leadership skills had everyone enchanted, he took it over with ease and his salary nearly doubled from that which it had been in the valley. Her mother also quickly gained respect as an interior decorator. Together, they purchased the penthouse, and many of the pack made their homes in the apartments and condos below, within the same building. Raul was one of them. Kayla visited him and Silvia frequently, but she was also very prudent in making sure she was not intruding on their marriage. That last thing she wanted was to be a burden.

"Is that the mail?" Bernese asked with a content stretch against her husband.

Kayla forced herself not to scrunch her nose at her parents' cuddly situation. "You have something from the Serius pack." She said to her father.

Anthony raised his eyebrows and inspected it curiously. Normally, that would have been the time when Kayla excused herself to finish homework, hit the gym, read a book, or watch a new soap opera on Netflix, but she was curious about what Damian had to say, so she stayed put. Anthony used a claw to tear a clean line across the top. The letter was only a page long, and typed well with a script-like tone. He'd sent the same letter to every alpha of every pack, changing around only names.

Anthony,

I hope you and your pack are doing well. As you know, the winter solstice is a month away. There has been confusion because nobody knows where the new entrance to the motherland is. This has haunted me since I changed it. That is not the case anymore. I was struck with a vision recently, and it is now my responsibility to inform you that the packs are to meet at the Hudson River, the night of the solstice this year. The water from that river will lead us to Bermuda. I look forward to the convention.

Best wishes,

Damian Serius

The only personal touch to the letter was his signature at the end which held an attractive artistic flare.

"Do you think we will have to rely on him for the entrance every year now?" Bernese asked curiously.

Anthony's chest suddenly stung a bit. He rubbed a hand against it soothingly and nodded. "It appears so. That almost makes him the alpha of alphas when you think about it." He sighed deeply. "Who would have known we'd end up here?"

Kayla narrowed her eyes. "Does it bother you?"

He shook his head. "Not at all. He has divinity on his side, and I can't think of any alpha better for a role like that. I'm just surprised, that's all."