Chapter 33

The clothing store was quaint, but it had what they needed. Kayla was joyous to experience the wonder of shopping again. It took a load off her shoulders, and she basked in the feeling of doing something normal rather than running with hunters on their tails. She pulled a knit cardigan off of the mens rack.

"Damian, you should try this on!" She exclaimed excitedly holding it out to him.

"Not a chance."

She frowned, "I didn't think it would work for you anyway." She muttered.

He scoffed and rolled his eyes, though a hint of a smile played on his lips.

She smirked at him. "At least try to find something for yourself. I want us to get home looking presentable."

There was already a pile of outfits gathered on her arm. It looked like a heavy load, he wondered how much strength it was taking for her to carry it without making any piece of fabric touch the ground. She quickly occupied a fitting room.

Damian sighed and browsed the store alone, looking through jackets, t-shirts, and jeans. A strange feeling consumed him and he looked up to scan the store with his emerald eyes. He felt like he was being watched, his hackles would've risen on end in his wolf form. He glanced toward the end of the store where Kayla was dressing, she seemed safe with the store clerk tending to her, the human was not a threat to her nor him. But still, he felt eyes testing him. A parrot by the register began speaking.

"Wolf!" It said. "Wolf!" Flapping it's wings wildly. The poor bird had been calling that out from the moment he and Kayla entered the store.

Only one door allowed for entrance and exit to the simple clothing store. It growled at Damian, hiding it's ominous staring eyes behind it. He sent one last glance back to the dressing room, and slowly stalked toward the door.

"Wolf!" The red parrot cawed. "Wolf! Wolf!" He bobbed his head, almost laughing at the trap Damian could be walking into.

He opened the door, greeted by sunlight and a slow moving town. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

A girl cleared her throat next to him, and he turned to recognize one of the maids in the boarding home he was staying in. Although, he knew her only by scent, to his eyes she was a stranger, a new person with her hair falling down her shoulders instead of in a tight bun, normal clothes rather than her cleaning uniform and make up accentuate a pretty face.

"Oh, I'm sorry--" He apologized, assuming that he'd run into her.

"It's fine." She reassured. "You're one of the newer guests in my grandmother's boarding house, aren't you?"

"She's your grandmother?"

"Yeah, I usually work for in summer. It's just something to do before I have to go back to NYU."

"Wow, NYU, that's cool, what are studying?" He asked.

"Law", she replied.

It became awkward between them, Damian twisted his head to look inside the store. Kayla had just finished trying everything on, he could see her amber eyes traveling around, searching for him.

"Um", the college girl said. He gave her his attention again. "I was just curious, that girl you're traveling with, are you two dating? Because I saw when you carried her back to her room last nig--"

"No." Damian interrupted. "Believe me, I'd never consider her as a girlfriend." He laughed. "We just... know each other's families."

"And you're traveling together?"

"It's a long story that I'd rather not get into."

She smiled. "Okay. Then, would you like to join me for some coffee, tomorrow morning?"