Chapter 45

He rose from his bed right before sunrise, just as he had said. He moved carefully and silently, because he did not want to wake Regina. He felt cruel to leave her like this, but he also blamed himself for inviting her to stay in his room. It had been an inappropriate and irrational decision, and he accepted his fault in it. When he returned, he was going to let her keep this room, and he would choose a different one to stay in. He was not going to let her become a casualty of his inner war, no matter how much she wanted it. He could not love her the way she deserved to be loved, and he refused to toy with her, because he knew she was worth so much more than boyish games. He wished he'd known that sooner, and he wished she knew it too. If they kept on like this, she would never know it. He would not allow that, she will see her worth one day, and she will move on to a guy who will love her the way she ought to be loved. He would make sure of it.

They had both been too depressed and tired to fall into their old ways last night, and he was glad for that. If they had so much as kissed once, he would have felt worse. It's not right to kiss someone while thinking of another, it's not right to take someone's heart when yours belongs to someone else.

It wasn't right for him to let her curl up next him and dream against his chest. Twice in the night he had woken up believing it was Kayla laying with him, and twice he'd felt a stab of guilt when Regina's cinnamon scent shrouded him. But he couldn't take back the last few hours of dreamless sleep, just like he couldn't take back the years he'd spent before his engagement making Regina believe that he loved her too. He could only move forward.

He dragged Travis out of bed and they quickly broke into the large garage building that stood not too far from the manor. Inside were two very antique looking cars that had collected dust over the years, and boats that were in good condition. They grabbed a small row boat and oars. Damian paused, looking at the remaining row boat, the sailboat, the kayak, and even the pair of old, basic, little ferries.

I can't let anyone follow us.

He set his stuff down, and grabbed a large club. It was heavy and durable, he passed it to his cousin, and picked up a sledge hammer for himself.

"Put some holes in the remaining boats, quietly." He commanded.

They cut the thick tarp for the sailboat, and slammed the tools into the hulls of each boat multiple times. Damian even cut the gas lines on the vintage cars for good measure, and Travis flattened the tires on the bikes and removed the chains. When they were done, the sun was climbing into the sky. They picked up the rowboat and ran to the shore, Travis huffed and puffed, but Damian did not let him slow down.

 The lake seemed twice as large when having to be crossed with a simple wooden rowboat. The pair dipped and pushed with the oars for hours, it didn't take long for their arms and shoulders to begin aching, and Travis complained. He squealed about his muscles, whined for a break, whimpered about having to leave. At nearly 9 in the morning, when they seemed to be halfway between the island, and Michigan, a faint mournful howl reached their ears on the wind, shortly followed by a ghostly chorus of cries.

On the coast of the Serius island, Damian saw the smallest hint of a figure exploding through the trees, and staring at the boat. The look was so powerful that even Travis felt it, he took the opportunity to give his arms a break turned around to look back at her. Another low howl reached them as the figure began running out into the water in desperate pursuit, a second form emerged and dragged her out. Even though they were too far away to hear, Damian somehow knew the conversation. He could imagine it.

Trent: Regina, stop! It's no use.

Regina: No! He can't leave us again! I won't let him leave us again!