Chapter 4

"Bernese, what was I supposed to do!? They would've easily killed her. At least this way they have an incentive not to hurt her or anyone else!" Anthony snarled at his mate. Something Kayla had never heard him do before, and Bernese continued to ignore all his points.

"So our daughter is just an incentive to you!?" She yelled as she slammed her hands into the counter with a loud bang.

He was taken aback, "No, that's not what I mean..." He tried.

She shook her head, "Face it!" Then her voice came down to a hurt whisper, "You gave our daughter away before she even had a name", tears began to form in her broken eyes, "And I know I am just as guilty, because I didn't tell her what was coming! She grew up looking forward to her freedom as a 16 year old, only to find out, in front of all the packs, that it was never even close to her!"

Anthony began approach her, carefully. "Bernense, I..."

She stepped back, giving him a harsh look, "And who's to say those damned Serians will listen to the contract! You nor Devon can hardly control your packs! No matter what you try, this hatred between us will never go away."

They'd never fought this much. Each word they passed between each other was like a knife. This wasn't the way it was supposed to be, it wasn't supposed to tear his family apart. He needed to protect them and his pack, sure the Pelisian family outnumbered Serius, but that didn't mean their rivals couldn't do damage. They could certainly kill Kayla,and Bernese if they tried, and he knew they definitely desired the deed. Also, the other alphas had been right, the hunters were becoming wary. 16 years ago they had circled the Serius valley during the winter solstice, much to everyone's surprise, and when the pack returned Devon quickly commanded everyone to take only what they absolutely needed. As they were leaving, the hunters attacked and they suffered losses, including Devon's mate. Hours later the pack litterally limped into the Pelisian valley, taking the less wanted half of it.

"Are you saying that it wasn't even worth it to at least try to stop the hate?" He questioned slowly.

She narrowed her brown eyes at him coldly, "No, it isn't worth it if it destroys my daughter's life."

In her bedroom, Kayla listened to the conversation intently. Her cheeks felt plastic and stiff with dried tears. The tone her parents conveyed to each other was foreign to her. Before, they might have had quick little snaps and disagreements, but never a fight with snarls and bared fangs. Her heart sank, it was her fault, she understood perfectly why her father had made the decision. As leader he needed to be able to make the impossible choices, and so should she. But her tears had driven her mother mad, and in her sorrow as a mother she took it out on the alpha.

Her parents began to scream at each other again. It was starting to get old, she didn't want to listen to it anymore. The bedroom window invited her to the freedom she craved. Wiping her face clean, she stood and opened it, the chilly air rushed inside without hesitation. The early January snow was in it's prime, it wouldn't start melting for another month or so.

She exhaled, a cloud came out her mouth. Quickly, before her parents decided to spontaneously bring her into their fight, she crawled out, making sure to grab her coat too. As she trudged along the snow she reflected on her life.

She was scared to marry a Serius, they were hostile and savage, with no regards for pain. She knew nothing about Damian, he seemed so malicious at the convention, so angry and hateful, as was his nature. How could she stand to spend the rest of her life with him? She shivered down her spine, she might've started crying again, if only her tear ducts hadn't frozen dry.

The other Alphas were right, the fights between the Serius and Pelisian families did make their presence known to hunters. Also, there was a very delicate balance that kept the packs together, if the leaders couldn't hold their authority, things could quickly fall out of line. Devon had even agreed to her father's terms, so they were on the same page. For a Pelisian and a Serius to actually feel the same, had to mean that the situation was too great to ignore.