CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Disclaimer: All movies of Jurassic Park are not mine. In some parts if the dialogue looks the same with the movies, well it is. I only own the character of Aella. And some parts of her life. Try to enjoy this. With Love Darelly  

⇛ 16.0

Yanking the starter rope one final time, Paul finally got the engine to turn over, puttering along. Amanda was beside him, bailing water.

"My own kid was right in front of me and I didn't do a damn thing" Paul said quietly.

"You couldn't have made that jump" Amanda told him.

Paul shook his head "I should have tried. It should have been me on that beach back there, not Billy."

"How would you have helped Eric?" Amanda asked but Paul didn't answered "He needs you, Paul. He needs us."

"He could have died" Paul argued.

"But he didn't. And neither did you. And I'm glad about that" the blonde said gently.

At the bow, Alan and Aella were beside Eric, keeping watch, but also feeling the weight of Billy's death.

"Do you have any other kids?" Eric asked "Apart from Aella."

"No" Alan answered glancing at Aella "Although I've studied them in the wild" Eric looked over, not sure what that meant "I have a theory that there's two kinds of boys. Those who want to be astronomers and those who want to be astronauts."

Eric said "I want to be an astronaut."

"See, I was the opposite. I never understood why anyone would want to go into space. It's so dangerous. You do one thing wrong and you're dead" Alan started to say "The astronomer -- or the paleontologist -- get to study these amazing things from a place of complete safety. And truthfully, everything you really need to learn, you can learn it from the ground."

"But then you never get to go in space" Eric argued.

"Exactly" Aella said nodding "The difference between imagining how things might be and seeing how they really are. To be able to touch them. That's what Billy wanted to do."

The barge started to round a bend. On the bow, the Grants and Eric were the first to saw something remarkable. Eric gasped, unprepared.

"I can blame the people who made this island. But I can't blame the people who want to see it. To study it" Alan finished.

The setting sun illuminated an incredible valley filled with dinosaurs. They saw a couple of branchiosaurs, Aella smiled looking at the dinosaurs "How's a boy supposed to resist this?"

NIGHT

The night came quickly; a full moon passed behind clouds, thunder quietly rumbled and lighting flickered in the distance. Paul was still at the wheel. As the barge began to round another bend a familiar high pitched sound pierced the darkness. Muffled but unmistakable it was the ringing of the sat-phone.

All exchanged looks of sheer panic, expecting the Spinosaurus to leap out at any moment. Alan scanned the river banks "Keep quiet" he told everyone.

Paul cut the motor and time seemed to stop as the five stood posed for action. The barge finished rounding the curve, and the ringing grew louder. Their eyes widened at some horrifying sight, the edge was full with dinosaur crap. An idea came to them, with Eric and Aella still in the boat, Amanda, Paul, and Alan jumped into the river and rushed to the bank.

The three companions sprinted towards the source of the ringing "Find it before it stops ringing" Alan told them.

And bracing themselves and hocking their breath, they plunged their arms into their respective dung-heaps. After a few moments of the disgusting search...