Foam Mustache

Dean felt as if his knees could give out from under him and his body could slump onto the floor like pudding. The nerves coursing through his veins made him feel frigid and woozy all at once in a clash that made his head spin. He could taste this morning's breakfast on the back of his tongue as he swallowed down his worries and took a few more steps.

His eyes scanned the crowd of his college-going peers before settling on the one in particular that had plagued his thoughts for months now. Castiel Novak was the guy everyone on campus was trying to know. The blue-eyed handsome devil seemed to captivate everyone including Dean on the first day of the new semester. There were always people crowding around him but Dean always noticed that Cas (he started calling him that in his head and couldn't seem to give a damn about it) never looked interested in what those people were saying. In his own mind he conjured up a scenario where he could get that face to be interested in what he said.

It took two months of pep talk from his best friends before Dean worked up enough courage to be making his way toward where Cas stood in the common area with a group of people. Even though he understood that the most likely outcome of this would be he would walk away emptyhanded, Dean still decided it was better than letting himself dream. Dreams were not enough anymore. They were as empty as Dean's bed on a Friday night.

By the time he was standing just outside the group, he was about to turn and high-tail it back to his dorm when the person in front of him stepped to the side and he was met with those cunning blue eyes. He wishes the world would've stopped, like he read about in romance novels, but instead it seemed like the world spun way too quickly around him. It was as if the volume was turned up and the commotion was smacked right against his face.

Cas tilted his head at him with almost-there interest.

That was enough to get Dean to take another hesitant step forward. He thought for a fleeting moment that he probably shouldn't have worn his dorky Star Wars t-shirt, but it was too late now. His mouth opened before he even realized he had something to say.

"Hey." Awesome, Winchester. You really knocked his socks off.

Cas levelled his head and gave a soft smile. "Hello."

The entire group quieted. It would seem that Cas had never spoken to them before, probably just stood there and listened. Dean cleared his throat as he felt warmness rush up his neck and flow across his freckled cheeks.

"Name's Dean."

"Castiel." Cas' lips turned up even more as he reached out his hand. "Pleasure to meet you."

Dean felt like he was going to faint. But he nonetheless took Cas' hand and maybe held it a little longer than he should have. His eyes never left Cas'. "Pleasure's all mine."

This made Cas full-on grin. "I've seen you around. Are you in one of my classes?"

"Psych." Dean nodded, unable to hide the smile that Cas recognized him. "You sit in the back... I-uh-sit in the front."

"That's right." Cas' eyes twinkled as if he could control something like that. "You are the, what do people call it... 'teacher's pet'?"

Dean flushed even deeper until his face felt like it was being dunked in a deep fryer. His eyes momentarily left Cas' to see all the students around him gawking at him like he had a third eye. His heart pounded at the attention and it made him want to cower back and retreat into a safe dark corner.

Cas, seeming to notice this, gently stepped forward and grasped tightly to Dean's upper arm. "Would you like to go somewhere less... populated?"

Dean nodded, giggling to himself at the weird way Cas talked, and allowed himself to be directed away from the common area toward one of the main streets leading to the store/shop street. They walked in silence. Dean was still trying to catch his breath and imagine that this wasn't a dream. He wondered if he had fallen asleep in Math again because this seemed very reminiscent to a dream he had in that class before.