Stepping closer

I can't wait to see you again :)

Beca sent the message with a smile. Chloe and her had been texting each other for a week now. First it was random texting every now and then, and as the days passed it had become an everyday rule to text every couple hours. They would just comment silly things about the weather, work, LA stuff, even about Aubrey. It was slow but it felt right, and with every buzz of their phones both girls lit up.

In the previous message Chloe had finally asked Beca to visit her in the apartment later that day, which according to Aubrey was a huge step. Beca could hear the blonde's voice in her head saying something like "You're walking on eggshells, hobbit. Be careful."

Beca was wide aware of that anyway, because she noticed how Chloe avoided talking about them and their past. She avoided talking about anything but silly things, actually. And Beca had also noticed the lack of smileys in Chloe's texts. The redhead had always been known for the overuse of emoticons in her messages, that was Chloe's way to let people know what her actual expression really was. Lately though, she wasn't using any smiley at all, and that kept Beca worried.

With a sigh, the brunette stood in front of the mirror. Her expression was serious. Of course she was happy that things seemed to be working, that Chloe was letting her in slowly... but she was also scared. The last time they saw each other Chloe's eyes were terrified and she ran away. The last time they saw each other before that Chloe's eyes were deeply sad and she ran away. How could Beca know this time it would be different? She didn't want to hurt her best friend anymore. What happened that night at the party had been a big damn mistake caused by alcohol mixed with walls against feelings. Beca wouldn't forgive herself if she ever hurt Chloe like that again.

With another sigh she started getting ready for work. It was going to be a long day until she could finally visit the redhead.

.....................................................................................

6 hours later Beca was standing in front of Chloe's door, feeling nervous. Shaking her head she knocked and seconds later Aubrey opened.

"Hi Beca." She said smiling and gesturing to make the brunette come in. She looked excited.

"Hi Aubrey" Beca replied, walking inside.

It was a beautiful apartment, middle size. There was a blue couch placed in front of the tv and in between them there was a wooden coffee table. There was a bookshelf full of books of all kinds and many decorations on the walls. Beca's eyes stopped at a big picture of Aubrey and Chloe smiling brightly. It made Beca smile too. Then she saw the kitchen with the dinner table and the short hallway that Beca thought must lead to the bedrooms and bathroom.

"Sit down, Chloe will be here in a bit, when she feels ready. She asked me to stay, I hope you don't mind." Aubrey said, sitting on the couch next to Beca.

"No, it's fine." Beca said.

The tv was on, luckily. So the tense silence was filled with the funny voices of the presenters in the quizz show. Aubrey and Beca didn't want to talk, they were both nervous and expecting. Minutes felt like hours until they finally heard shy footsteps walking in the living room and a nervous little cough. Beca immediately stood up to see Chloe standing a few steps away.

"Hi Beca." She said softly, her hands tangled, her face showing a smile.

"Hi Chloe." Beca said, her eyes filling with happy tears. She was feeling so happy... she wanted to step forward and hug the redhead... but something told her that she shouldn't. Not yet.

Chloe walked towards the couch and sat in the place occupied by Aubrey before. She was in between the brunette and the blonde now.

"So um... do you like the apartment?" Chloe asked. Beca could notice she was trying to avoind looking in her eyes. She looked happy though.

"Oh yeah I love it, you can totally guess Aubrey lives here. Everything is so neat!"

Chloe laughed. Oh my God Chloe laughed. Aubrey couldn't believe it. That brunette could make her best friend feel the worst and the best. She was right, Beca was the only one who could bring the real Chloe back.

"How are you, Chlo?" Beca asked, her expression getting more serious, but always showing a little smile. The redhead looked at her feet in silence for a few seconds, like trying to find the words.

"I thought you would never come back" She whispered finally, this time fixing her eyes in Beca's eyes.

Beca lost the ability to breathe, her heart racing. For the first time in a year, Chloe's eyes were smiling right at hers. Oh how much she had missed those blue eyes. As numb as her mind felt, she reached forward and wrapped her arms around the redhead, holding her tightly. Both girls closed their eyes, feeling each other. Beca could also feel a few tears from Chloe on her shoulder.

"Come on Chlo, don't cry anymore?" She whispered, but the redhead only hugged her a bit tighter, still emotional.

A minute later they pulled away from the hug, smiling brightly and none of them noticed Aubrey had left as they kept talking. They talked over an hour nonstop. Mostly Beca did, updating Chloe on how the last year of her life has been.

"...Yeah and then I got this amazing job offer in LA but Jesse didn't want me to come."

Chloe coughed at the mention of Jesse and Beca noticed the redhead was uncomfortable so she shut up.

"But wait... you told me you got this awesome job here..." Curious Chloe couldn't stop herself. Beca smiled slightly.

"Yep. I got the job and broke up with Jesse... Couples are supposed to support each other's dreams, right?"

Chloe nodded, breaking eye contact. She was looking around for Aubrey. Beca thought maybe she had talked too much, maybe it wasn't the moment to mention Jesse or relationships and couples. She cleared her throat.

"So yeah, it was really nice to see you, Chlo. I'll get going and let you rest now, it's pretty late." And Beca stood up, not sure what to do.

Chloe stood up too, and started walking to the door, Beca following. The brunette was starting to feel guilty and slightly sad.

"Goodnight, Chlo. See you another time I hope?" She tried, with a sad smile. Chloe was looking at her feet. Beca sighed and turned to walk away.

"Wait" Chloe finally spoke up, finding Beca's blue eyes before continuing, "What about tomorrow? We can make cookies..." She showed a little smile, that grew bigger when Beca smiled back.

"Sure! Same time? I'll be here." And they waved goodbye.

As if the day couldn't get any better, a few hours later Beca finished some work at home and got a text message. It was Chloe. She really loved Chloe's texts.

I had a really good time today, thank you.

Beca quickly replied she felt the same way. Her cheeks were legit hurting because of her big smile. Finally things were going in the right direction. Beca Mitchell was happy. Officially happy. And she found that she hadn't felt truly happy in a long time. So, what could be better than celebrating the day like she hadn't done in a long time? She turned on the music player, louder than usual, and danced on the couch.