Chapter 4 - Deja Vu

"Hallie, please don't make me do this." Kali pleaded as she held one of her roommates black sequin cocktail dresses in her hands.

"Kali... socialising is a part of college life and most of that socializing stems from parties." Hallie informed her.

"Yes... parties that result in beer kegs, movie marathons, pushing people around in shopping trollies and video recording your drunk friends who strip tease and then bomb dive into a swimming pool... not martini mixers at a fraternity. Hal, as much as I love you... I don't fit in with them and when they realise that and you and Sidney both get in I won't be allowed through the front door without cat bell!"

"Ah, excuse me, but I'm not pledging." Sidney called from behind the closed bathroom door.

"Don't be so dramatic." Hallie said calmly. "So long as Mickey keeps you calm and restrained for the night, you'll be fine." She joked as Kali gave her the unimpressed face. "And just out of curiosity... what the hell kind of parties have you been too?"

"Ones with alcohol that doesn't taste like olive juice." Kali responded flatly.

"You can leave the olive out." Hallie responded in the same tone.

"Doesn't improve the flavour. And this." Kali gestured to the dress in her hands. "Too much."

"Okay, I'll get you a different outfit, but you're still going. You and Sidney may not be pledging, but I am and I need them to like me which means I have to bring people that they like and you two are currently at the top of that list." Hallie explained, heading over to her wardrobe as Sidney came out of the bathroom.

"I hate fraternities." She whispered over to her as Hallie came back almost immediately with a new outfit.

"Better?"

"Much." Kali responded approvingly, taking the black and light pink floral skirt and black one shouldered top from Hallie's hands.

In 20 minutes the three were ready to go. "The guys are meeting us there." Hallie announced as she hung up the phone and they grabbed their jackets before heading out.

"Hey, I am not a sorority pusher." Hallie was saying as they walked through the front door. "I just think, despite its trivialities, it is a life-affirming, mentally stable, healthy environment for you." She was basically trying to sell the idea of pledging to Sidney, giving up on Kali after she threatened to hide her hair dryer. "I mean, look at this freaking place." She gestured to the large and tastefully decorated mansion.

"I think you're taking your psych major a little too seriously, Hallie. I'm fine." Sidney retorted as Kali immediately began to look around the room for Mickey, wanting to find someone who would completely understand her pain of being there.

"Yeah? That's beginning to become your theme song - 'I'm fine.'"

Sensing imminent danger, Kali spun around to see Murphy and Lois heading straight in the direction. "Ah, I'm gonna find the guys." Kali whispered, taking off before Hallie could protest her desertion.

Kali went out the back, looking around and seeing no sign of the guys. She did however, much to her surprise, find a keg standing competition and after a few minutes of observing and gaining a few flashbacks to Stu Macher's house parties, one of the guys participating kindly asked her to join.

Deciding that alcohol was the only sound proof way to calm her nerves and forget her worries, Kali decided there was no better way to do that than upside down on top of a beer keg with a bunch of drunk hormonal guys cheering her on.