Chapter 6 - I Love You

Once Derek was discharged and they had all had their interrogation, the friends went back to the dorm rooms, it now being 3am. It was decided that they were going to at least stay in pairs until daylight, as recommended by Dewey, so Hallie and Sidney headed back to their room, Derek was going to sleep on Randy's couch (as Randy refused to go to Derek's fraternity) and Kali was staying at Mickey's dorm.

Mickey fell asleep almost instantly, his arm casually draped across her stomach as she lay on her back, eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling. Kali tried to fall asleep, but she couldn't so soon she just gave up.

It must have been at least an hour and a half later that an idea hit her. Not really thinking, too caught up in her sudden realisation and desperately wanting an answer, she turned and faced Mickey, gently shaking him awake.

"What? What is it?" He grumbly in a raspy morning voice.

"Was Cici her real name?" Kali asked her boyfriend, knowing he knew her.

"What?" Mickey asked, his sleepy self not really understanding.

"The girl that was killed tonight, her name was Cici, but was it short for something?" Kali asked, knowing what the nickname Cici often came from, but wanting confirmation first.

"No, it was Casey." Mickey managed to groan back. "Why?"

"Nothing, sorry. You can go back to sleep." She whispered, feeling somewhat guilty, but glad she had an answer as she rolled over onto her side, her back to Mickey.

Kali heard him sigh and felt the bed move as he appeared to reposition himself before she felt him brush back a loose strand of hair that had fallen in her face. "Tell me." He demanded.

Kali sighed and roll back over, now staring up at him as he propped himself up on his elbow. "Their names."

"What about them?"

"Maureen Evens... Maureen Prescott, Phil Stevens - Steven Orth, Casey Cooper - Casey Becker."

"It could just be a coincidence." Mickey whispered.

"Mickey..." Kali warned, no longer interested in people trying to make her feel better.

"Alright, so maybe it's a pattern. Who was next?"

"Principle Himbry, but before he was killed Sidney got a phone call and was attacked, just like she was tonight."

"But she was attacked twice, right? Another time at the school?" He asked, having heard the story twice before; once from Randy and once from Kali. Kali nodded in response. "But you were with her the second time, yeah?" She nodded again. "Alright. You stay with me tomorrow, yeah? We can have a movie day or something and stay in the dorm."

Kali smiled at him, leaning up to give him a kiss as a reply. "Sounds good." She whispered as he fell back down on the mattress and she curled into his side.

"I love you." She heard him whisper just as she finally fell asleep.

***

"You can take the bed, I've got the mattress." Kali said as they arrived back at the Riley household from the police station and were now all changed into their pyjamas.

"No..."

"I insist." Kali cut Sidney's protest off.

Dewey knocked on the door and entered, holding an ice pack that he threw towards Sidney. "Thought you might want some ice for that right hook. Kal, Stu's on the phone." Dewey added.