Chapter 11 - Lost Ones

Kali kept going until she made it to her dorm room, shutting the door behind her and locking it.

Her breath was hitched in her throat as tears began to fall from her eyes. Exhaustion once again took over as she collapsed down onto her bed, this time utterly dreamless.

It was her phone that woke her, yet again. She hesitated before answering, somewhat frightened of who could be on the other end.

"Hello?"

"Kal, I need you to come into the police station." Dewey's voice replied as a wave of relief washed over her.

"Why?" She asked curiously. "Did you catch them?" Her relief was then replaced by hope as she stood from the mattress.

"No, Kal..."

"What is it, Dewey? What's going on?" She asked hesitantly, suddenly back to fear.

"He got Randy." Dewey finally replied in a soft voice.

"What?" Kali breathed.

"Gale and I were with him in one of the courtyards, discussing possibilities when the killer called Gale's phone. We left Randy talking to him so we could look around, but when we got back Randy had been stabbed to death in Gale's news van. I'm sorry." Dewey added on the end, like it made a difference. Kali remained silent, unable to say anything as she stared blankly ahead. "Kal?"

"I'm here." She whispered back.

"I'm going to send someone to pick you up, okay? They'll meet you at your dorm room." Kali nodded, not really processing that Dewey couldn't see her. "Okay?" He tried again.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm already there. I'll see you soon." She hung up and let the phone drop from her hand as she sat back down on her bed, not even realising that Hallie had come in while she was on the phone and was now looking to her roommate, worriedly.

"Kali? Who was that? What happened?" Hallie asked her as she looked up to her friend.

"It's Randy." Kali replied weakly, "He's dead."

***

After a few more minutes, Kali looked around aimlessly. "Okay, that's it." She declared, jumping up on slightly wobbly legs from the alcohol.

"What?" Stu asked.

"I'm doing a proper search of this house for my sister. If she's past out in one of the bedrooms or hooking up, I will forgive her, but if she did in fact bail on a party she practically dragged Sid too, I will be doing some ass kicking."

"Alright, I'll help." Stu nodded getting to his feet.

"No need to pause, Randy, you can keep watching." Kali said to her friend who didn't need to be told twice.

Stu and Kali found their way to the kitchen and Stu pulled her up. "Hey, I'll check inside why don't you check outside, make sure she isn't passed out in the back of a car after getting lucky or something." Stu said.

"Why do I get the creepy dark outdoors? And you're meant to be keeping an eye on me, remember?"

"Yeah, but you can talk to Dewey while you're out there." Stu nodded towards the front door.

"Alright." Kali nodded and turned to leave, but Stu grabbed her hand and pulled her back to him for an unexpected and long kiss. "What was that for?" She asked, but her boyfriend just shrugged and Kali rolled her eyes with a smile, finally leaving.

Her first stop was Gale's news van after seeing that Dewey wasn't in his squad car.

"Shit, what?" The cameraman snapped when Kali's surprise visit scared him.