The Screams and the Ghostfaces

So now it's time to have a little Scream chat. Any opinions on the movies and Ghostfaces are welcome, such as your favourites, least favourites and why.

If you haven't seen all of the movies and don't wish for spoiler, do not keep reading.

My favourite of the four movies is 'Scream.' It's the original and it started the franchise. Billy and Stu were original and despite Roman's manipulation it was them, or at least Billy, that came up with the phone calls and Ghostface himself.

Least favourite would be 'Scream 4'. I just think that 'Scream 3' was a nice end to the franchise. I'm not complaining that they made another, but I don't think it's a good end to it all and want them to now make a fifth to wrap it all up properly like they originally did with 'Scream 3', but that is no longer happening and instead they had to make the TV Show that doesn't even have anything to do with Ghostface. Also I was a little mad that they didn't play the song 'Red Right Hand' by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in the fourth movie.

So, my favourite Ghostface is Mickey. I just think he was the most capable, driven and unsuspecting (maybe not to the audience, but to the other characters in the movie - he just had the best façade or poker face, I guess). He was also the reason Sidney went into hiding. It was him getting past her walls, never once suspecting him that really got to her. Also, he basically did everything. Mrs Loomis set him up at the college and put him in Sidney's direction, but he killed everyone accept for Randy who was an impulse kill on Debbie's part. Mickey is also potentially the only killer in the whole franchise that would have become a murderer, no matter what. If you take Maureen Prescott out of the picture Roman would probably never have had a motive to set things in action, therefore Billy would never have thought to kill and never would have peer pressured Stu into it, therefore never resulting in Stu getting a liking for killing. Without Billy's death and the ripping apart of her family, Mrs Loomis would have happily finished raising her son. If Sidney hadn't have risen to fame like she did, Jill never would have gotten as jealous as she did and perhaps would have sort out fame by other means. Without Jill talking Charlie into it he would have been much like Stu.

Mickey on the other hand was found on a Psychopaths website, looking for action and sooner or later he would have gone out finding some, just without targeting Sidney. His motive also would have still been the same and without Mrs Loomis and Sidney he probably would have gotten his wish and gone to court, blaming the movies, potentially winning his case.

Stu is my second favourite simply because he has no motive other than "it was fun," which is a terrifying thought. Again, without Billy he probably never would have thought of killing anyone, but once he got a taste for that was it.

Next is a tie between Billy and Roman. Roman was the architect behind it all, he manipulated Billy and his mother. He was also the only one to carry out all murders on his own. Billy was also, more than likely, the one to come up with the calls and Ghostface himself.

Then I would say Charlie. He's much like Stu in a sense and he would have been the one to come up with the filming, no doubt. But the main reason I like Charlie was because he was the only one of all the Ghostfaces that showed some semblance of a conscience. This was shown when he killed Kirby and didn't even stick around to see her die, supposedly not having the guts to and he did actually genuinely like her (my opinion is that she actually lived as we never see her die. She was actually one of my favourite characters along with Tatum, so I like to pretend she did).

Now, I'm not being sexist, I love a good female villain and I am female, but Jill and Mrs Loomis are by far my least favourite. Mrs Loomis is the worst, she essentially did nothing, she was weak and her motive was lacking. I understand wanting revenge for her son's death, but she chose to leave him. She could have taken him with her or at least kept in contact with him. Also, the one thing I cannot stand is unreasonable revenge. I do like "good old fashioned revenge," but if someone kills someone else in self defence or when, for example, in time period movies when a father seeks revenge on an opposing side of a war because his son died in battle. It was battle. It was war. Both sides know the risks and both sides take lives. It really gets to me, I'm sorry. It's probably the one thing I absolutely cannot stand above all others. I understand that she was mentally unstable, but she still didn't actually do anything. The only person she killed was Randy and that was on impulse because he insulted Billy and in order to get away with this sort of thing, everything must go to plan and by risking that in the middle of the day at a crowded outdoor area she could have fucked everything up.

Finally Jill. She wasn't as bad as Mrs Loomis and she was skilled, but she was far too childish for my liking and her entire motive was essentially a tantrum. She didn't do it for revenge, for fun, or because she loved movies and wanted to create "art" like Mickey or even Roman. She simply did it because she felt she deserved more and was just attention seeking.

Anyway, that being said, I do still LOVE all of the movies and they are some of my all time favourites. It's not like Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Nightmare on Elm Street, which are all great and classic movies, but part of the fun is guessing who the killer is and with those movies you know from the very beginning and you know that they're going to come back in the end (not in the way scream does it "for one last scare" but they actually can't be killed). But Scream allows you guess every time with the added element of 'How many are there?' and 'Is this actually the end?'

So those are my opinions, for whatever they're worth, please let me know yours.