Chapter 12: Saying Goodbye

"You know tomorrow we're going back home and you're going to school again." John said as he turned off the car. I nodded.

"Thanks again for bringing me here." John nodded.

"It was my pleasure."

"So are you coming?" I asked him before opening my door and letting the chill air enter the warm car.

"Nah. I think she won't want to hear from me. Besides, this is better if you go alone."

"Alright." I said. Both of us let out smiles as I opened the door and stepped out.

It was the same as I had remembered. The same green grass and paths that lead to different stones. Each stone engraved with sayings or just names.

Around each stone were flowers from loved ones. Trees overhead had their leaves falling onto the now deserted ground of the cemetery. I remembered my way as if it were yesterday as I walked down the path and then onto the grass as I made my way to the grave I had come to see.

The wind blew strong and a few leaves blew with it around my body. I shivered stuffing my hands in the pockets of my jacket. Like all October days it was getting colder as winter neared. I wanted to say good-bye one more time before winter came and I wouldn't get to come up here as often as I would want to.

Finally I came to the familiar stone and I knelt next to it.

My fingers brushed against the cold stone as I wiped away residue from things so I could read the message engraved into the grave stone.

Nathanial Martin Joseph Wellington

Beloved Son, Sibling and Companion.

08/18/93 - 12/24/02

A few tears dripped off of my cheeks as I remembered the accident far too well.

"I'm sorry." I whispered throughout the air. "I really am sorry."

The honk of the truck as we hit it rang through my head. I shook it trying to get the image out of my mind, but it wouldn't go away.

"Jingle Bells!" I sang happily as we drove towards my Grandparents house.

"How much longer?" Nate my twin brother asked.

"Only a few minutes you guys." My mom said taking her eyes off of the road to look in her rear-view mirror at us then back to the road.

"Ugh this is taking forever!" Nate cried crossing his arms over his chest.

"Come on Nate. It's Christmas. As soon as we get to Grandma and Grandpa's we get to open gifts!" I cheered happily. This made Nate smile.

"What do you think we got?" He asked me. I shrugged.

"I hope I get that doll I wanted." I said smiling wishing that the doll would appear in my hands once I unwrapped a gift.

"Well don't worry. We're turning into Grandma and Grandpa's town now." My mom said smiling.

And that's when it happened.

The wheels lost control and the car spun as a patch of black ice covered the road ahead. We all screamed as the car spun around and around. My mom trying to calm us down unbuckled her seatbelt and tried to grab the both of us, but it was too late.

When awoke in my hospital bed the a few days after Christmas. I was scared and confused.

"Wha-what's going on?" I asked as a nurse came in.

"Oh honey it's alright. We're helping you." She said smiling at me. That didn't help my worries.

"Whe-where's my mom and brother?" I sobbed.

"Your mom's outside." She said and with that she left the room and in entered my mom looking like a worried wreck.

That day I found out that my mom wasn't able to save the both of us. The truck hit the side of the car that Nate was on too hard. My mom and I were hospitalized for a few days, but other than a few broken bones we were saved. Nate was in critical condition when he was wheeled into the hospital the night of the accident and only a few minutes did he survive after that.

"I wish it was me on that side of the car. I really do." I wiped a few tears. "I miss you." I whispered again having the wind take it so it echoed throughout the cemetery. As soon as the tears started I stood up. Not wanting my brother to see me cry even though he wasn't there. I sniffed the tears back and made my way over to the second grave.

When I knelt by that one the words were still showing and on top of the grave laid one shredded up...

Black rose.