Chapter 10

Prince Rowen was exhausted. Preparations for the annual festival, 'Feast of the Gods, Kings and Men' proved to be more of a challenge than he dreamed. Much to his chagrin his wife, Kiherah Varamen and his mother, Shamarah Themarian, who was in charge of the planning for the event enlisted his services. At first, he refused, saying he wanted nothing to do with what the festivities; not just because of the debauchery and raucous activities, but because of what it represented. It was the thirteen-year anniversary of the Black Era; thirteen years to the day that the Nords invaded his home.

Rowen despised his father for turning such painful memories into his fortune. He understood that Rashnee thought he was doing what was best for his people. He had vehemently defended his purpose for creating this annual festival which was to celebrate life and rebuilding of the new city. Still, as time passed, and Rashnee's fame and influence began to spread, it all became too much for Rowen. Watching his father lick the boots of members of the aristocratic society was desperate and loathing to him.

"This is so depressing," Rakurih whispered as she and her younger brother, Prince Ashure stood at the foot of Rowen's bed, watching him sleep. "Our dear brother is worthy to square against an army with an arrow through his arm, yet hanging a few curtains for his wife drains him of his strength?"

"This man will be our king someday," Ashure snorted.

Rakurih chuckled. "I... I'm conflicted. I wish to mock him but, well look at him. It's pathetic, yet oddly adorable."

"Shouldn't we wake him now?"

"Give the indolent another moment."

"But, he can't hear us mocking him," Ashure said. "If I'm going to mock someone, they should know it. It defeats the purpose if they can't."

"Fine, we'll wake him," Rakurih said. Her face lit up with mischief. "Wait, I have an idea." The former princess of Levanorah climbed into bed with Rowen and put an arm across his chest.

Ashure raised an eyebrow. "Um... What are you doing?" he whispered.

Rakurih put a finger to her lips and shushed him.

"Will ye continue to slumber as the day escapes, at which hour tis full of good and pleasant things, my love?" she lovingly whispered into Rowen's ear.

Ashure blanched at her and winked at him and covered her mouth, suppressing a laugh.

Rowen stirred and stretched. He lay on his side opposite Rakurih. "After last night, the only good thing worth waking up to is you near me," he mumbled.

"Oh.... well...Thy words of flattery are like honey to my tongue, my prince," Rakurih stammered, mimicking the lyrical love expressions Rowen's his wife lavishes upon one him. "Um, let me thank you... by uh... greeting you with a kiss."

"A little less poetic than usual, coming from you but as you wish," Rowen said.

Believing it to be Kiherah behind him, he turned over to oblige her request and looked into the face of his sister. Rakurih closed her eyes and pursed her lips playfully. Rowen recoiled and jumped to his feet. Rakurih and Ashure roared with laughter.

"Do you two ever cease from your games!" he shouted.

"Just like old times!" Ashure gasped.

"You should behold your face," Rakurih chuckled. "A little less poetic than usual," she said mimicking her elder brother, and she and Ashure broke into laughter anew.

"Are you two quite finished?" Rowen yelled.

"Are you two quite finished?" Ashure repeated, mocking Rowen.