Chapter 18

Winter, May 1231 A.D.

Shamarah behaved amicably toward Theocales and Rashnee her first four months, as the newest member of the Sovereign Council. She fully cooperated on all assignments given to her, such as being dispatched to deliver news that the upcoming festival, Feast of the Gods, Kings, and Men would be canceled this year in support of the forthcoming campaign. She even supported Theocales when he voted to raise taxes in all occupied territories of the Fellowship for the cause of the coming war. Unlike many in her social standing, Shamarah supported Rashnee in going to war against the Nords. They had taken everything from her, and she wanted to give them something in return; vengeance.

Theocales sent the Golden Queen all over Laynemarah to quail would be uprisings. She successfully conveyed to all that their cooperation was necessary to ensure that they would thrive in peace for generations to come. Her simple message was to support this occupation to avenge their loved ones who had fallen victim to the Nords.

She also learned of her ability to sway governors, princes, judges, politicians and village leaders in her favor. Shamarah was simply an unofficial monarch, and her fingerprint was everywhere. Her successful campaigns even had a positive effect on her relationship with Rashnee. For the first time in years, he flirted, made jokes and playfully danced with her as if they were in love. On occasion, he even sought intimacy with her, but she kindly refused him.

She knew that he was well within his rights to take her as he pleased, but he was more concerned about upsetting the balance of their new found friendship. He settled for her company instead, and she had to admit that when he wasn't being cruel, he was surprisingly pleasant to be around.

But as Shamarah had once told him, she was no fool. She understood that Rashnee and Theocales' benevolent mannerism toward her was disingenuous. She knew that they cared nothing for her. A few months ago they were contemplating having her murdered, and now they were behaving as if she were their savior. She knew better than that.

Laynemarah saw her as a hero, a symbol of strength and honor. But in the eyes of Theocales and Rashnee, she was nothing more than a glorified pawn to promote their agenda; merely a tool to reshape the country of Laynemarah into their image. For a time, she had resigned herself to this role. The eyes of the Fellowship Regime were everywhere, and she knew the extremes both men would go to get what they wanted.

Her fear was tempered by outrage, however, when his holiness, Sovereign Councilman Meryolis Cheros had once again proposed a bill outlawing the spread of the teachings of Eudarius and his belief in one God. She along with others had previously opposed the bill because of political reasons. The region of Laynemarah was slowly shifting into an empire because of the reach of the high order of the Regime, and many feared that Theocales and Meryolis were becoming too powerful.

"I don't even care to broach the subject that Theocales is calling Meryolis a hero and wishes for us to refer to him by the name, Pontiff," Shamarah told Rashnee one May Winter evening as they made their way to a high-profile meeting in Galpricos to discuss the war effort. She pulled her heavy cloak up around her to shield her from the frosty wind. "We both know that his so-called quality of virtue is stained with sin. Not to mention, that unless some unfortunate demise befalls Saiheir, the high priestess of the Regime's holy court, then such a request would be absurd."

Rashnee said nothing but busied himself with his reading material.

"I do wish to address this absurd campaign to ban Christianity. It was Eudarius and the Shirobethnians that saved us from certain doom in the Black Era. And now Meryolis..." Shamarah stopped mid-sentence and cleared her throat. "Forgive me; "Pontiff" Meryolis seeks to start a war with them? Does he think Eudarius is going to lay down his beliefs for the Fellowship?"