Chapter 36

Kiherah watched in wonder, the scene that unfolded before her. The Assembly of Saints festival was now in full swing. The air was festive and thick with anticipation. Everyone seemed to be filled with joy and laughter. Strangers embraced and carried on conversations as if they were friends.

Horns sounded, and everyone turned their attention towards the scaffold. A man who appeared to be in his sixties garbed in a white tunic embroidered with lavish designs stepped up to the podium and opened a large book. The crowd quieted and waited in earnest for him to speak.

"I will bless the Lord at all times!" he read aloud. "His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the Lord. The humble shall hear thereof, and be glad." Sporadic applause broke out among the crowd. "O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together," the man continued. "I sought the Lord, and he heard me and delivered me from all my fears. I looked unto him and was elated, and my face was not ashamed."

The crowd clapped, whistled and shouted amen. Spurred on by the response from the people, the man stretched forth his hands and read with excitement.

"For this poor man cried! The Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encampeth round about him and they that fear him and delivereth them. O taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man that trusteth in him. O fear the Lord, ye his saints; for there is no want to them that fear him. The young lions do lack and suffer hunger, but they that seek the Lord shall not want for anything good.Now people, if this is thy testimony, then lift your hands and shout to the Lord with joy!"

The crowd erupted in a roar of praise, unlike anything Kiherah had ever heard. Never in her life had she witnessed such raw passion. As a teenager, she anticipated the annual Feast of the Gods, Kings and Men event. She loved the pomp and glamor of it all and was thrilled when King Rashnee had asked her and Shamarah to host last year's celebration. The meager decorations and trappings of this festival would have made a patrician bowl over with laughter when compared to the pomp and grandeur of Laynemarah's regional showcase.

But here in this moment, everyone seemed to be filled with a sense of purpose. There was a camaraderie and unity that spread from breast to breast, and Kiherah wanted a taste of it more than she ever had before. She kept her eye on Shamarah, who sat stone-faced watching everyone curiously. Her piercing eyes portrayed a callousness that Kiherah found frightening. It was as if she was ready to jump forward and pronounce judgment upon all that were assembled.

The energetic worship leader led a procession of heartwarming songs, in which one of her neighbors explained to Kiherah were all from a book of Psalms, written by King David of Israel. Kiherah had heard of Israel but never the name David, and it took her several tries to pronounce it correctly. The music concluded with a rousing finish and then followed with scripture and prayer.

Afterward, the worship leader called forward nine fishermen who were natives of Kyros. He said that they would deliver a testimony that would prove that the Lord is with those that trust him. The eldest member came forward and sheepishly addressed the masses. He told them that they had been fishing all night long in the Darling River, which crossed the entrance of Kyros City. He said they had cast their nets over and over and had not caught one fish.

When they had finally decided to go to shore, a man was standing on the sand. A light had shone upon him, and he was clothed in white. The fisherman told the crowd that they were afraid because it was dusk and that there was no lantern to illuminate the man. He said to them that the man smiled and asked him if he had faith that the Lord would provide.

"Then I knew with assurance that God sent this man!" the elder fisherman exclaimed with joy.

The crowd whooped and clapped sporadically while he spoke.