Chapter 21

Jeruh Garett crouched in the thicket of a cornfield not far from the magnificent Manor of the high priestess in Galpricos. He was careful to choose a spot that provided just enough cover to shield him from the view of anyone passing by, but still close enough to the road to acquire his target. His honey-blond mane and tan skin blended perfectly amidst the corn stalks.

"Are you certain we have the accurate location?" his companion, Baleerh asked, brushing sweat from his forehead.

"Aye," Jeruh replied as he peered down the road through a scope. "Councilman Cheros instructed me that Saiheir, the high priestess travels this route to the temple three times a week just before sunset."

Baleerh squinted at the sky. "The sun is already setting," he said impatiently; his voice tight. We've tarried hither two hours now, and I'm thirsty. You suppose he got the days wrong?"

"Meryolis doesn't strike me as the kind of man who makes mistakes. Especially one whose paying us three hundred shekels of gold a piece to finish this."

Baleerh shook his head. "The evil things men do for power; such a disgrace for a man of the cloth. The whole arrangement sickens me to no end."

Jeruh lowered his scope and peered at his longtime friend; a Captain in his Shadow Infantry Army. "Wherefore you care?" he said. "Ye have slain holy men before."

"Aye. But not at the behest of a fellow priest."

"Well, normally I'd pounce on this rare opportunity to talk you out of such a sickening endeavor, and take all of the prize wages for myself. But this is a two-person job. Enough of your..." He stopped mid-sentence and peered up the road.

Baleerh started to respond to Jeruh's banter, but the Black Lion put a hand on his shoulder.

"What do you see?" Baleerh said looking in the direction Jeruh was focused.

"The high priestess. Her party is heading this way."

"How many?"

"Not counting the other clergy, about twenty with arms."

"What? You failed to divulge that bit of info when you petitioned my help."

A grin spread across Jeruh's face. "Are you fearful of a few temple warriors, Baleerh?"

"Huh? What? No. Piss on those guys. It's just that I wouldn't have eaten all that deer meat had ye told me what we were facing!

Jeruh smiled and shook his head.

The giant stout of a man swore and rolled to his knees. "I wasn't planning on working this hard," he growled, withdrawing his sword. "No matter. Let's get paid."

"Wait! Don't attack until they've reached the clearing."

"Are you mad? That'll put them right in the path of the manor. Even you can't cut them all down at once."

"We're not being paid to kill everyone, Baleerh; just our target. Their best chance to protect the priestess is to lose us in the cornfields, which would put us at a disadvantage against the guards. I'm going to make certain that doesn't happen."

One of the clergymen carried a book of prayers and was reading aloud. Jeruh and Baleerh exchanged glances as the priest recited the prayers.

"My soul waits thou only upon God," the priest read passionately. "For my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength and my refuge is in God."

"My expectation is from him?" Baleerh repeated. "I thought these were worshippers of Artemis?"

"They aren't," Jeruh replied. "This is more than just Meryolis coveting power. It's the first strike on a war against the Eudarianites."