Chapter 25

"Commander!" Balagharus called out as he chased the warrior down the corridor that led to the main hall.

The Black Lion turned and placed his hand on the hilt of his blade.

"I come only to speak with you," Balagharus said, putting up a hand.

"I harvest no contempt against thee, Lord Balagharus," Jeruh said. "Thy accolades proceed thee well, but I warn you to bind your tongue. Your flattering words will not constrain me.

"Alright. I won't attempt to sway thee. Just give me an opportunity to convince the king."

"Convince him of what? You saw him. You know how much he despises his own daughter."

"Aye. But as though wot, I have a way with words. With Rashnee, it will take some time. Remain hither for a fortnight. I shall do my utmost to turn the king's heart. But be prepared to give some ground. Your betrothal to Rakurih may not abide hither, but at least you'd have the peace ye so desireth."

Jeruh eyed the old warrior warily, uncertain of his motives. "What cause stirs thee to help me?"

"Balumereh," Balagharus said. "How does he fair?"

"As well as one leading an army of murderers, thieves and rapist can be. He's certainly his father's son."

Balagharus smiled almost in a childlike manner. "I yearn to see his face. It's been a year, since I last laid these old eyes upon him. Should I succeed in changing Rashnee's mind, would you send for him?"

The look on Jeruh's face told Balagharus how he felt about his request.

"Most men have learned not to mention anything to do with Levanorah in his presence," Jeruh hesitated to tell him. "That's if they value their..."

Jeruh fell silent and stared at the Levanite Commander as if expecting him to finish his sentence.

"What?" Balagharus asked, bemused. "Their heads?

Jeruh mashed his lips together and shook his head. "I wish."

Balagharus glared at Jeruh, puzzled by his expression. "His hands?"

"Lower."

"Lower? What? His..." Balagharus gasped. "No! He cuts off their-

"Yep; Wouldn't have believed had I not seen it myself."

"Balumereh has always been ill-tempered, but at the core, he is a good man."

"He was a good man, and it got thrown into prison. You did nothing to stand on his behalf. If it weren't for me petitioning to have him sent to the Shadow Infantry, Rashnee would've had him executed."

"I swore an oath to the crown. What was I to do?"

"I'll remain hither, but only until dawn. Convince Rashnee to relent, and I'll send for him."

"Thank you," Balagharus said with relief.

"No guarantees, Balagharus. Balumereh is his own man, and a hard one."

"Wait," Balagharus said. He gazed into Jeruh's cold eyes as if pleading. "About my son; you were just making humor, yes. He hasn't become like you.

Balagharus regretted that last remark as soon as it fell from his lips. Jeruh looked at the ground and then back at Balagharus, emotionless.

"We make a living assassinating high profile targets," He said. We murder, men of all walks of life; princes, priests, bankers, peasants; even women. That kind of life changes a man. He draws the line at children, but that too will change."