Chapter 13

"Was this not the place whither I first laid eyes upon thee?" Daylan said to his wife.

"It was my prince," Kiherah smiled, continuing to watch the festivities. He was going to have to do better than that.

"It was two years hence, this very night. You were the most beautiful woman these eyes had ever seen. And you still are."

The the new mother felt flush all over. "Go on," she said with a smile."

"You were wearing a gorgeous dress. Green, I think it was."

"Hmm, you remembered," Kiherah said. "And do ye recall the first words you spoke to me?"

"I said, at last, a ray of sunlight in a life of dark clouds."

Kiherah mouthed the words as he spoke. She sat her cup on the ledge, turned around and latched her arms around his neck. She practically had to stand on her toes to reach him.

In contrast to his portly father, Daylan was built like a warrior. Kiherah melted into muscular arms, stared dreamingly into his blue eyes, and ran her hands through his lush brunette hair. Though his noble character would give him away in a crowd, he was a humbled good-natured man, and Kiherah loved that about him.

The princess began rubbing his arms and gazed into his eyes. Daylan enveloped her, taking in her sweet scent and kissed her lips. But Kiherah pulled away.

"What is it?" Daylan asked. "What concerneth thee?"

"Tis nothing, my Lord," Kiherah said. "Tis nothing."

"Kiherah, you know you can speak thy heart to me," he said.

"Well..." she finally managed. "Perhaps it is best for us to rest in one another's arms and just talk; talk and nothing more. I bethink it'd be in a poor manner to be romantically involved on this day of all days. "

Daylan said nothing, but turned his wife away from him and placed his arms around her waist.

As they watched Rashnee and Shamarah, it struck Kiherah that Daylan gave no reaction to her request. "For once, your father and mother look happy together," she said testing him.

"Looks can be deceiving," Daylan responded.

"Must ye speak in this manner? That will be us in time."

"Yes, but our love will be genuine."

"How can ye be so certain?"

"My father was called forth from his mother's womb to greatness. Divine destiny ripped our family apart."

"And what about you, son of Rashnee? You too are called to greatness. You'll have to sacrifice much to fulfill thy father's legacy. Our children will grow up in that legacy."

"Fate may have claimed my future, but I hath chosen thee. We shall be joyous because we decide to be."

"Try telling that to the gods."

Daylan smiled and turned Kiherah to gaze into her eyes. "I already have."

Kiherah couldn't help herself. Her emotions were all over the place, and she had to ask. "How can you be so bold? Especially with what happened to Syrah."

Kiherah knew by Daylan's expression that she had gone too far. She heaved when Daylan took her by her shoulders, breathlessly waiting for his response/

"What is it that stirs you to say such things? Divulge to me what very much troubles thy heart."

"I am so ashamed to say this," my husband. "It positively morbid for me planning for this festival. The king requested of me, and I complied to honor thy father and to show myself to be a virtuous wife. I beheld thy face whenever someone mentioned Syrah's name. I beheld the pain in thy expression."