Chapter 27

The armies were abuzz with anticipation as rumors swelled through the ranks that Eudarius would be in attendance at Thescaro, albeit the infamous sheepherders had wisely pitched their tents on the other side of the five-mile lake to avoid any potential problems. Many of the soldiers had only heard about the drama between him and the Fellowship leaders four months prior in Galpricos and were gearing up for another conflict.

Any hopes of a showdown, however, were nearly thwarted by Rashnee. He understood the power of the Shirobethnian's ability to convict, inspire and persuade. The last thing he needed was to risk his men being poisoned by this one God religion when they were on the brink of ending a half-century-long struggle.

And as much as Prince Rowen wanted to see his sister, he agreed with his father's logic. The men needed to focus on one word; a word that his mother had used many times in her endorsement to convey them to join the campaign; vengeance. He wanted retribution for his first wife and unborn child, for his best friend, and all his brothers who had fallen to the sword at the hand of the cannibals of the west.

Rashnee's command, however, was be overruled when Theocales and Meryolis, along with Sovereign Commander Banetalyes arrived two days early. The reception they received by the mass army was too much for Theocales to ignore, and so he granted them what they desired. Despite Rashnee's protests, the Emperor sent an invitation to Eudarius, his son Ardaymian, as well as Rakurih to join them for dinner. Eudarius replied with conditions that his people would not be harmed and that Balumereh would be their escort to ensure their comfort. Theocales gave his word that no one would touch a hair on their heads.

***

Rakurih had adamantly expressed to Eudarius that Theocales' guarantee of their safe passage to the Fellowship's camp didn't make her fill any more secure.

"Might I remind you that Theocales is a thief, a liar, and a murderer," she protested as she sat by her tent, sharpening her sword.

Eudarius sat across from her mending a fish net. "Might I remind you that this invitation might be the only chance to speak to your brother?" he replied.

"Why must we go now. Can't we meet before Theocales gives his speech? We were invited to that as well."

"You might not get the chance. The armies depart for Lagorah the following morning. Rashnee will undoubtedly keep Rowen occupied. According to Balumereh, he isn't too delighted about us coming tonight."

"How shall we attempt to dissuade Rowen from marching to Lagorah with my father watching our every move?"

"I trust that the Lord will provide a way."

Eudarius reminded Rakurih of how God had spoken to him on their voyage and that if he had brought them this far, that he would carry them through.

A knot formed in the pit of Rakurih's stomach. She had chosen not to divulge the details of what she was almost certain was an encounter of her own with this God on the same night. Once upon a time, she would've scoffed at the delusion that an all-powerful creator of the universe would take the time to converse with fishermen, farmers, and sheepherders.

But since her visitation, there was no denying that this God was real and that his presence was unlike anything she had ever experienced. Despite her reformed perspective, the pains of yesteryear ate away at her heart. No love from any creator could cause her to forget her past. From then on Rakurih rejected the notion that any god, living or dumb would determine her fate. She had decided that she alone would create her own destiny.

***

As Rakurih and Eudarius made their way through the Fellowship camps, they found the sunset skies to be filled with music and raucous celebration. The men entertained themselves with singing, dancing, feasting, drinking, and gambling. Hundreds crowded around tables and took bets for arm wrestling and others hovered over various board games.