0.1

"Today, we're going to start a new unit for math. I'll be teaching you guys how to multiply and divide. It may seem hard at first but it'll turn out to be really easy once you get used to it." Luke explained to his third grade class with a soft smile on his face.

All twenty two children nodded quickly in excitement. Luke was very glad the children weren't in that phase where they hated everything and didn't care what they were doing. He only had a couple of students who were already like that, but it didn't bother him.

The twenty seven year old man started writing problems on the board and asked if anyone already knew how to do it. No one did so Luke did them all while explaining each step as the students took notes. After he knew they understood, Luke wrote more on the white board and let the children who wanted to do problems do them. He knew some kids were shy and did not want them to do anything they didn't want to do.

A small smile appeared on his lips when one of his students, who's name was Kyle, did the problem correctly. He took out a piece of candy and handed it to the small boy with a good job buddy. When the children saw there was candy involved, most of them rose their hands immediately after Kyle sat down.

Before Luke could call on any of the children to do the next problem, he looked at the time and saw it was time for lunch. He told everyone to line up by the door as he grabbed his lunch, along with the other children. With a sigh when seeing the children chattering, he turned off the lights so he didn't have to when all the children were out of the room.

"Okay, everyone please be quiet while walking down the hall. There are still classes learning and we can't disturb them so they won't disturb us when you're learning. If anyone talks, you'll be sitting in the classroom for lunch with Mrs. Holly and I know none of you want that. Let's go." Luke informed, a slight tone of teasing in his voice but most of it was serious.

All the children nodded as Luke opened the door and they started walking in a line to the cafeteria. Luke closed and locked the classroom door before rushing to the front of the line and leading them to the cafeteria. He was glad when none of the children talked the way there.

They all walked into the cafeteria and the class walked to their original table and sat down. The kids who didn't bring their lunch went into the lunch line while the others started eating at the table. Luke walked over to the teacher's table and took out his own lunch, starting to eat his little sandwich.

Luke was very different from most teachers he worked with. He was gay, first of all. Some of his co-workers didn't like him just because of that and most of them were religious. But, Luke never said anything because he would never disrespect something someone else believed in. They were never mean to him but just a little rude at times.

Another thing was he understood children, some people say because he recently was one. But that's not true. He knew how little kids felt, he knew how it felt to be different. He helps children with anxiety, shaming themselves, and many others. Kids knew more than people thought.

But it was kind of lonely, sitting by himself at the teacher's table. His left leg crossed over his right as he quietly ate his sandwich. He always had a cute little lunch, and it was exactly the same every single day.

A peanut butter sandwich, a small salad, fruit in a cup, and a bottle of water. Sometimes the drink would be a juice box that a student gave him or orange juice. But the food was always the same.

"Mr. Hemmings, right?" Someone asked from behind him. Luke looked over his shoulder with a lift of the head, he saw a woman with short brown hair and a pretty smile, she barely had any makeup on.