Chapter 1: Broken and Battered

Valentina's POV

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. 7:25 AM. Wednesday morning. June 19, 2013. The third Wednesday in June.

I groaned as I rolled over to turn off the annoying alarm clock that my elegant and well-meaning mother gave me as a house warming gift. I hit the dismiss button and face-planted into my pillow. I sighed into it and sat up to look out the window. The sky was a gloomy gray color, and it was clear that rain was on the way. "'It never rains in southern California,' yeah right."

The atmosphere was depressing. But then again, when you live near a very, VERY active airport, in a crappy one-bedroom apartment, any day could be considered depressing. I sighed heavily and threw my skinny legs over the edge of the bed and slipped my feet into my cozy, cotton and silk Arabian slippers. I stood up and stretched my tense muscles. I forgot to stretch before my bellydance class yesterday evening and now my muscles are sore. Just great.

I sighed as I made my way to my tiny bathroom. I shuffled up to the sink and brushed my teeth. I washed my face with a natural facial scrub made of aloe, ginseng, blueberries, tea leaves, and apricot. It was very invigorating, and I felt better afterwards. After that, I stripped out of my "pajamas", which only consisted of an old Angels jersey and gray yoga pants. I got into the shower and let the blazing hot water sweep over my body. It was so gentle and soothing. I could hardly tell the bathroom was filling with fog until I got out. I wrapped a large towel around me and padded off to my well-stocked (make that overstocked) closet.

I finally decided to put on black yoga pants, a white short-sleeved shirt, and salmon colored Toms. I am a physical therapist by profession, so I can't really dress up for work. I have to wear loose clothes. It's not really cute or fashionable attire, but no one looks at me anyway. In my opinion, I'm not that beautiful, although others tell me that I am. I've been single since I was 23, and I'm still a virgin. Yes, life sucks. I slipped on my salmon colored Vera Wang cashmere sweater and pulled my hair into a ballerina bun. I grabbed my black Prada bag and my white Ray Banz and walked into the kitchen to have a quick breakfast.

I grabbed a banana off the counter, peeled it, and broke it into pieces before placing them in my mouth. After finishing my banana, I poured myself a glass of iced tea flavored with blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, and peach. I pretty much threw in all the flavored teas in my cabinet when making iced tea.

As I sat on a stool sipping my tea, my phone started to rang. I dug in my purse and pulled out my baby pink Samsung Galaxy S4. I answered it with a quick swipe.

"Hello." I said, taking another sip of tea.

"Val, I need to talk to you about something really, really important!" Exclaimed my sister, Crystal. I rolled my eyes and waited. A side note about my sister: everything to her is an emergency, no exceptions. She always called for no reason and said it was so important.

"What Crys? I've gotta go to work." I said and sighed. I thought she was over reacting like always.

"I think I have pseudo pregnancy." She said in a very serious tone. I started laughing and almost dropped my tea on the floor.

"Um, why exactly do you think that Crys?" I asked between my giggles. I found this completely funny.