Chapter 20: Let's Stay Together

Val's POV

"My name is Doctor Christopher Boykins. I have a Ph.D in psychology and I've been a marriage counselor for 12 years. What brings you two into my office today, Ms. Diamond and Mr. Duncan?"

"Well, we need counseling. We want this to be an effective relationship. There are three kids involved in this and we don't want them to go through life living without a mother and a father. So, we need to get our things together to properly create a household. Plus, she's my best friend. I love her and don't want to live without her. Our house is cold. I want the home we used to have. She's my everything." Leo said and rubbed over my hand with his thumb. The therapist looked over his glasses at us. Then at our hands.

"It's clear that you two love each other and are willing to come to an agreement on what should be changed. Let's start by the main reason you two are having issues."

"Three months ago, I gave birth to a set of twins. A boy and a girl. I suspected my twins had different fathers. I did get a DNA test without letting Leo know and my son does in fact have a different father than my daughter. I didn't want him to know yet. I was going to tell him. I just needed the right moment. The day he found out, we got into a huge fight and he.. Well, he-"

"I grabbed her out of anger and left bruises on her body. I am so sorry about that. You, Valentina, know just as well as I do that I've never put my hands on a woman. I was drinking. I am SOOOOO sorry baby." Leo said and kissed my hand. The therapist looked surprised at us.

"Anything else?" He asked and cleared his throat.

"On that same day, I went over to my son's father's house. He's like my best friend. He comforted me and told me everything would be alright. We went to a neo-soul bar where we had drinks and smoked some marijuana and went back to his place and had sex..."

"That same evening, I had sex with my daughter's mother. I have another daughter who is a year old. Her mother, Jayla, said that I called her and told her to come over. I don't remember that. I drunk a whole bottle of expensive Courvoisier. I don't remember much of that night. The next day, Jayla and I came up with a plan in which she would tell Valentina what happened and say it was all her idea. Before Jayla could get the full story out, Val whooped all over her. Bruno, Phil, and Kam, Valentina's friends, were there and helped pull the fight apart. Bruno and I got into a physical altercation and he said somethings that really hurt Valentina. I could care less what the little prick had to say to me." Leo said and shrugged.

The whole time Leo had been talking, my face became clammy and my stomach churned. I broke out in a sweat and my breathing became shallow. This has happened a few times in the last couple of weeks. Everytime it happened, I ended up throwing up, and that's how I feel right now. I breathed in and out deeply trying to rid this nauseous feeling.

"Are you okay Val?" Leo asked me.

"I'm fine. Excuse me Doctor, is there a restroom somewhere?" I asked. He nodded.

"Down the hall to the left." He said and I grabbed my purse and made my way to the bathroom. My heels clicked against the hardwood floors. I made it to the bathroom in just enough time to heave into the porcelain toilet bowl.

Ugh!! Is this the flu? No. It couldn't be. I don't have any other flu symptoms. Nothing felt different. Well, I have a slight headache, but apart from that, nothing was out of the ordinary. What even bought this on?

I looked over at the wall to see a calendar. I dug my phone out of my purse. October 17th.. I counted in my head. Then, I counted again on my fingers. I'm late. A week late. My period is a week late. Nothing seemed different. I have no weight gain, no unusual food cravings, nothing. Then again, it would be too early for those symptoms. The last person I slept with was Bruno....