Clea

The front wheel of Solithh's bundle buggy had come off and she was bent over picking it up. Before Esri could stop her, Jilly catapulted right into the buggy which then tipped over. Solithh wobbled and Esri grabbed Solithh by the arm to steady her as the contents of the buggy scattered across the sidewalk.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" Esri righted the bundle buggy. "Jilly, pick up her stuff and put it in the buggy."

"It's okay, I'm all right now." Solithh's voice was low and calm.

Esri made sure that Solithh was standing steady and quickly restored the contents of the bundle buggy. Esri was anxious about the tall, suit-and-tie man in the donut shop. Surely he was more than some random creepy guy. Something was not right with those glaring eyes, and what was that smell? Esri tried glancing back into the donut shop but was distracted by Solithh.

"If you wouldn't mind, I would be most appreciative if you could help me get my buggy and purchases home," Solithh said. She wasn't at all rattled or upset. "Give me your arm and tip the buggy forward on two wheels. You can tuck the wheel that came off into one of the bags. I don't live far from here. Just down there," and she pointed. "Do you mind?"

"Sure, we can do that. I'm so sorry we ran into you. Maybe I can fix the wheel on your buggy," said Esri.

"I think the cotter pin fell out again . . . somewhere . . . I might have something to fix it at home. Are you in a hurry? I see you have a princess with you. Is she on her way to a party?"

"I'm a fairy godmother! And I am taking care of Esri today," said Jilly.

"Oh my, aren't you lucky, Esri? And does the fairy godmother have a name?"

"Jilly."

"Well, Jilly and Esri, my name is Clea."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Clea," said Esri.

"No, no, just Clea. And I am very pleased to meet you too. I'm sure I've seen you around the neighbourhood."

Before they set off, Esri stared back into the donut shop, but the suit-and-tie man was gone. Had he disappeared? In the washroom? No, a teenage boy was coming out of the washroom.

Clea looked over at Esri, "Are you all right?"

"Yes, yes, fine. I . . . just thought . . . it's ok, we can go. C'mon, Jills."

Clea took Esri's arm. Esri dropped her soccer ball into the bundle buggy and pulled it behind her. Jilly skipped in front of them waving her magic wand.

Clea's front yard, once past the cedar hedge, was aglow with vivid fall reds and yellows. She opened the door to her house, which Esri noted was not locked.

The furnishings in the house were sparse and simple. It was lovely and light-filled. Jilly twirled slowly around. "This is a fairy godmother house, Esri."

Clea laughed. Esri also liked the house - not scary at all. It wasn't fancy, but felt like a place she would like to live.

"You have a nice place, Clea. Have you lived here a long time?"

"Oh, yes, quite a while. Come see the kitchen and the backyard."

She led them into a spacious kitchen at the back of the house. A large, round wooden table with claw feet stood in the middle, and the walls were lined with shelves and cupboards filled with glass jars, neatly labelled and organized with many grains and spices.

"It's like the Bulk Barn but nicer!"

"Jilly!"

Clea said, "I don't mind. It is a well-stocked kitchen. I enjoy cooking and baking and trying new things. But come, let me show you the garden."

Clea opened the kitchen door and Esri and Jilly stepped outside. The house was lovely and inviting but the garden was beyond anything Esri and Jilly had ever seen.