Clea Starts Talking

Talking to her Dad last night eased some of Esri's worry about Nicole and Darren, though it was hard to see how things could get fixed. At least, for now, Nicole and Billy were safe.

Today, nothing would stop Esri from going to Clea's. Last night, again, so much happened at Flat Rocks. Clea remained the only person Esri could talk to about the cave-people dreams. It puzzled Esri but at least, thank god, she had Clea, who didn't find the bizarre, intense dreams at all odd.

When they talked about the dreams. Clea encouraged Esri to describe everything in as much detail as Esri could recall, every nuance of the conversations and the dynamics between the people at Flat Rocks. That was helpful, but Esri wanted Clea to do more than listen. This cave-people dream business was not normal, and Esri sensed that Clea knew something more about the dreams. Otherwise, why was Clea the only person Esri could talk to about them?

Esri knocked on Clea's door, opened it, and called in, "It's Esri. I'll leave my coat and boots by the door."

Clea called back, "I'm in the kitchen."

Esri came down the hallway. Clea said, "I was hoping you might stop by. You enjoying your holiday break? Where's Jilly today?"

"She's at a birthday party this afternoon. I was wondering if you'd have time to talk? If you had a phone, I'd call ahead of time."

"Don't need a phone. Yes, yes, come on in. I have lots of time, and you know you're always welcome. I'll make some tea. I'm thinking, it's the dreams again?"

"Yes, it's the dreams. I want to talk about the dreams, but I also want you to tell me what you think they mean. I believe you when you say that I'm not going crazy. But the dreams aren't normal, are they, Clea? And I think you might be able to tell me something about them. "

Clea sighed, "Yes, I can. I've been thinking that it might be time to begin."

"Begin what?"

"Here, I've got some fresh muffins. Ah, and there's Willa at the back door. She'll want to hear this too. We'll all get comfortable and then let's get caught up on your cave-people."

"So you do know something more about these dreams than you've been telling me?"

"Yes, I do and I promise you, Esri, I will tell you certain things, but first I want to hear everything you've dreamt about since the last time we talked."

Once again, Esri walked Clea through all that had happened to her and the others at Flat Rocks since they last spoke about the dreams. Clea asked many questions. It took a long time but Esri made sure that she finished with plenty of time left to probe Clea about what her dreams meant.

Esri said, "That's it. That's everything I've dreamt up until this morning. So what does this all mean? You said when I came today that it was 'time to begin.'"

"Yes, umm, time to begin. Where to begin?" Clea paused. "Well, I'll begin by telling you that you have a special calling, and that's why you're having these dreams."

"What? You make it sound like I'm supposed to be a nun or something."

Clea laughed, "No, no. Nothing like that. It's something much rarer. It usually starts when you're a little older and begins more gradually. But I think it's because certain things are veering too rapidly in the wrong direction. Your Mending time needed to be sped up. Which is unfortunate, because it makes it harder for you, but it must be done."

"Ah, Clea, you're not making any sense. I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I know. I know. It will take some time and it will take some getting used to. We'll just begin today and I need to tell you, that I don't know everything. I'm much like you, only I've lived longer and had a lifetime to try to come to terms with being a Mender," Clea said.