Familiar Smell

"I love you, Esri, oh yes I do. I love you, Esri, oh yes I do," Jilly sang into Esri's ear as she snuggled up against her. "And please don't yell at me," Jilly kept on in her sing-song voice.

Esri opened her eyes. Her heart was racing. Oh god, why did she have to wake up right then? She felt Jilly's warm little body wrapped tightly around her. They had made up the little song together for Jilly to sing when Esri was thrashing about in her sleep and having a hard time waking up.

Breathe deeply, Esri told herself. Unless a Disruptor got her off course, and she was determined not to have that happen again, she would be back in her dream tonight, picking up right where it left off. "Thanks, Jills, I guess I was noisy again, wasn't I? It's pretty early but that was a perfect wake-up. You could hire yourself out as a personal alarm clock."

"What?"

"Just teasing you," Esri sat up, Jilly half wrapped around her. "Oh shoot. I promised Mr. Romero I'd come in early today and I forgot to tell Dad. He'll be mad I didn't make arrangements for you. It's still early. We'll figure something out. You can stay in bed a little longer if you want. I'll go talk to Dad."

Esri walked down the hallway to Joe's bedroom. She hoped Randi wasn't in there with him. Sometimes she came after the girls were in bed. Esri slowly turned the knob. She didn't like the idea of seeing her Dad and Randi in bed together but didn't feel like she had a choice. If Randi was there and came in late, maybe she would be sound asleep and Esri could quietly get her Dad out into the hall. Esri inched open the door. So far so good. No noise.

Then it hit her. The dead mouse smell. Esri gagged, barely managing to silently close the door. She stood panicking in the hall. Oh god.

Randi was a Disruptor. Of course. Why hadn't Esri realized it before? It now seemed obvious: how easily Joe found a good-paying Sunday's-only job; why someone like Randi who was so hung up on looks, clothes and buying stuff would stay hooked up with a poor family like theirs; and that cloud of perfume she moved around in.

What was Randi planning to do? Stop her dreams? For sure. But Randi was definitely playing it cool so far, or was she? She had successfully insinuated herself into their lives. What had she already done to her Dad and Jilly? Clea and Thomas said the Disruptors wouldn't actually harm Esri, just influence her to do bad things but what about her Dad and Jilly? Esri was afraid. She needed to be cautious, but foremost, she needed to get Randi out of their lives.

Esri knocked softly on the bedroom door and whispered, "Dad, sorry, I have to talk to you. Can you come out?" No sound. She knocked louder and repeated her words then heard rustling noises and her Dad saying, "What are you doing?" and Randi mumbled something.

Joe opened the door a little and stepped into the hall, closing the door behind him. Esri smelled Randi's cloying perfume. She must have sprayed around herself before Joe opened the door.

"What is it, Esri?"

Now was not the time to confront her Dad. "I'm really sorry Dad. I forgot to tell you last night. Mr. Romero arranged a training session on mediation this morning before school starts and it's really important that I go. I'm sure Ada or Luka or someone can take Jilly to school. Do you mind sorting it out? I need to leave right away or I'll be late. I'm really, really sorry."

"God, Esri, I need you to do a better job of staying on top of things," Joe said, but then stopped himself from saying more. "I'll take care of Jilly. You go ahead. Listen, I might have some good news tonight, maybe a new job that pays better and no work on the weekends."

"Randi?"

"Yeah, nothing's firm yet but I should know later today." He lowered his voice, "I know you have mixed feelings about her, but she's been awfully good to us. She's very generous."