Willa

Joe gently shook Esri. "Hey, Esri, you've got to wake up. Time for school. You can't sleep in today. C'mon. We need to get going."

Esri gasped, looked up at Joe expecting to see a group of menacing Others. "What!?!?"

"I know you're tired, Es. But you've got to get moving. What's goin' on with you? Did you get to bed late?"

"I . . . don't . . . know." Esri could hardly get out any words.

"Well, your alarm was blaring away. Couldn't you hear it? You sure you're ok?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Well, don't fall back asleep. I've got to get going."

"Ok, yeah, I will, Dad." Esri sat up.

Joe left the room, calling over his shoulder, "Jilly's eating her cereal. See you at supper. Bye sweeties."

"Bye..."

What? Where am I? Thought Esri, staring at the room. Nope, no Zura or Dagan, no sleeping under animal skins, no scary people with spears. Were they Violent Ones? I - am - in – Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Ho-k, get ready for school, pack Jilly's lunch. Really need to talk to someone about these dreams.

It took Esri much longer than usual that day to shake off her dream. Even in her favourite ancient history class, Mr. Romero scolded her for not paying attention.

At least it was Friday. Ada and Luka would be waiting after school. Between the usual homework demands, family duties, work schedules, and Esri's participation in the city soccer tournament – the team finished third, not bad – the three friends had not been together for days. Esri wanted to tell them both in person about her job with Solitth, now Clea. Much to Esri's relief, when her Dad and Clea met, they really hit it off.

"Hey, spacey one, what were you off thinking about in Romero's class?" Luka came bouncing up to Esri.

Once again, Esri felt her throat close as she tried to say something about her dreams. She coughed, cleared her throat, and started again. "Oh my god. That was so embarrassing. I couldn't focus on the discussion. I didn't sleep too well again last night. I'm glad the weekend is here. But hey, I've got something to tell you and Ada."

They could see Ada walking toward them with a couple of her new friends from the computer club. The club was busy working on some computer game that they were sure would make them all rich. Ada broke away from the group and joined Luka and Esri.

"Hi, you two. Esri, are you okay? I've never seen you flummoxed like that in a history discussion." Ada, too, was in Mr. Romero's ancient history class.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I don't know what happened, so awkward. Anyway, I've been waiting for days to tell you guys about my new job. You'll never, ever guess who I'm working for?"

Ada guessed, "Sarah Lealand?" Esri's favourite singer. "The ROM?" The popular name for the Royal Ontario Museum, Esri's favourite.

"No, no something more local, very local, with someone we've wondered about for a long time and kind of been a little afraid of too."

Ada and Luka stared blankly at Esri. Then Ada said, "Solithh? I know you went to see her house last Saturday but a job too?"

"Yeah, that's right. I'm going to work for Clea. That's her real name. Just Saturdays for now. I'll help her around her house and yard and stuff. It's such an awesome place. She's great, and I can bring Jilly."

They were silent for a few seconds, then Luka spoke, "You are kidding me? Seriously, Esri?"

"Seriously, she's really nice, really. I'll bet you can come and visit sometime while I'm there. You'd like her."

Ada then said, "Wow, well, if you say so, Esri. You seem excited about it. Are you sure? What does your Dad say?"

"He went and talked to Clea a couple of days ago and he really liked her. She's got this amazing backyard with all these wild plants. You know how he loves stuff like that. It reminded him of his grandmother, I think."

Luka said, "I don't care how witchy she is, maybe now you'll be able to get your own phone and won't have to nag us to use ours all the time."

Ada punched Luka on the arm, "Stop it, Luka. It's no big deal, Esri. You know that."

"I know," said Esri. "It's just a pity that some of us lack a certain sensitivity to their dearest friends."

"Oh god. I'm cut to the quick. I'm so sorry, puppy," said Luka and gave Esri a hug and she tickled him hard under the arms.

* * *

Saturday morning, Esri and Jilly arrived at Clea's house promptly at 10. They knocked on the door and heard Clea's cheerful, "Come on in, you two."

Before they opened the door, a big, fluffy white cat came bounding out of the bushes with a mouse in her mouth. They jumped back, yelping. Clea stepped outside and closed the door.

"Ah, Willa, there you are, but you can't bring that inside. But you two can come in. We'll let Willa finish up her business outside. Despite her affliction, she is a remarkable hunter."

Esri and Jilly wondered what affliction Willa might have.

Clea chuckled, "She's been cross-eyed since she was a little wee kitten. I don't know how she does it. She must see two mice and then pounces in the middle. Whatever, she has learned to compensate most successfully," Clea paused, looked up, and mumbled something.

"Sorry, Clea, what did you say?"

"Ohhh, it's probably nothing. I caught a whiff of an odd smell, rather unpleasant."

Esri spoke carefully, "I smelled something odd, just before we ran into you last Saturday but nothing since then. And I don't smell anything now."

"Ah well, that's fine then. It's probably not as bad as I thought. I do tend to have a particularly sensitive nose."