Cats Come Back

The birth of Wilki's baby and Dara's death and burial delayed discussion about the big hunt. When the mourning songs ended and normal activities began, Kai spoke to the bode. "Nat saw signs on the hunt we should talk about. We were making the final run to trap the eland. He saw footprints made by a big cat. He told me where they were and I went back and looked. The tracks are faint, but I think he's right. This is good news. It could mean more animals are back, but it also means there is more danger again when we go out. We should always have watchers, even on short walks to get roots."

Piram said, "Perhaps, but I've not seen any signs of big cats. Let's not worry too much yet."

"A few of us will go to where Nat and Kai saw the tracks and see what we can find," said Tars. "What else did you see, Nat?"

"In the eland herd, there was a doe that escaped early. She had a bloody tear on her back leg that happened recently. It looked like it came from a spearhead grazing the leg. None of us had thrown spears yet and I did not hear of anyone recently wounding an eland. This means there are other people someplace not far away."

"I didn't see that. Did anyone else?" asked Piram. No one had seen it.

"Nat has eyes like Huti, the big white river bird. He saw the eland long before anyone else," said Esri.

Tars said, "We must pay attention to every sign and explore what it might mean. It's like the big cat tracks. If Others are near, it can be both good and dangerous for us."

Kai and Nat took Piram to where they spotted the big cat tracks. Piram was skeptical that there could be a big cat around and he wouldn't have seen the signs. The two younger men showed Piram the spot and stood quietly while Piram surveyed the area. He knew the ways of big cats. He walked some distance from Kai and Nat, and let out a shout, "Come here!" He found more tracks and these were unmistakable. "Now the fight begins again. I've missed the big cats." He offered one of his rare smiles.