Angry Snake Returns

Over the next few months, more survivors were found and Flat Rocks now had close to 30 people. Some people transitioned in easily, others took more time. Those who were at first leery about pledging to The Agreements eventually came around as they experienced life at Flat Rocks. After the devastation of the Ash Rain, the bode offered a rare refuge of safety, comfort, and acceptance. As with many things at Flat Rocks, the stories and songs around the bodefire at night were a mixture of new and old from the survivors' bodes.

Esri was now also on the Elders Council. Most of the disagreements that came to the Council were minor and easily dealt with. There were a few violent incidents that resulted in people being banished from Flat Rocks for periods of time. The Council worked to find a resolution to whatever had caused the violence. So far, in every case, those banished had returned making a renewed commitment to The Agreements. The Council acknowledged that this might become more difficult as the effects of the Ash Rain diminished and living outside of Flat Rocks felt safer.

One evening Zura sat with Grilu and Sela in the Thinking Circle. Those two were the keenest of the children to learn the workings of the Circle, what the Guideposts meant, and how to set the markers. Esri came to join them, "Is tonight the night, Zura?"

"That's what the Sky Bones tell me. You'll watch with me tonight?" asked Zura.

"Of course. So much has happened since the last time we waited for her. The Always Cloud is so much weaker. How little we knew," said Esri. "I wonder what changes will come this next time around?"

"What? Who are you talking about? Who is coming?" Grilu piped up.

Sela said, "They're talking about Angry Snake. Is she coming back? You said she would. When can I see her? What will happen? You're not going to leave the bode when she comes, are you?"

Zura laughed, "No, no, we're not leaving Flat Rocks. And yes, Sela and Grilu, the Sky Bones are saying that before Sun-Man returns in the morning. Angry Snake will begin her journey across the sky. Esri and I will once again greet her."

Grilu yelled, "And Sela and I will too!"

Esri smiled, "Yes, of course, if you want. I'll come get you when it's time."

Sela said, "When you talk about Angry Snake, you say she brings change. What will happen? I don't want anything to change. Why does Angry Snake make things change?"

Zura said, "She doesn't make change, but she reminds us that nothing stays the same and we need to be watchful what is happening around us and keep seeking what I call - harmony."

"Har-mo-ny? What's that, Zura?" asked Grilu.

Esri laughed, "It's one of those Zura words. It's when things feel calm and steady, when we have plenty of food, no one is hurt, no one is angry, no one is scared. You know those times when everyone in the bode is happy."

Sela said, "We have harmony at Flat Rocks now. Everything needs to stay the same. Can't we tell Angry Snake we don't want change? What if bad change comes?"

Zura shook her head, "We can't stop change. Babies are born, people die. Or terrible things happen like the Ash Rain. What we can do is to keep seeking harmony, even if the change is bad. That's the lesson of Angry Snake and what she is coming around to remind us of."

Grilu asked, "Is that why you and Nagar made the Agreements? To seek harmony?"

"Yes. With people coming to live together from different bodes, we needed some things clear, like the Guideposts we use for the night sky, to help us find harmony among strangers," said Zura.

Sela said, "I like the Agreements. They mean no one will hurt me or Muni or you, Grilu. That is, no person will hurt you! I never want to leave Flat Rocks."