Girlfriend

Jerome wrote a brilliant song that the time had come to call out the business bullies of the world. It was clever and catchy, not preachy. Making the video ended up being a big project at the school, with a number of the teachers and students participating. The video started to gain traction online and attracted some media.

The night Esri made the suggestion at Jerome's apartment to do the video, she began to dream about Flat Rocks again. The dreams didn't come every night right away. That took a few weeks.

Esri was haunted by the factory fire in Bangladesh. Previous tragedies reported in the news had not affected her so deeply. She would feel sad for a little while but it wouldn't last long as Esri felt she had enough to handle in her own day-to-day life. This time, she became obsessed reading about the girls her age and younger who worked long hours for little pay, and no opportunity to go to school and how many were also forced into prostitution. Why? Why did people treat each other so badly? She talked to her Dad, who didn't try to sugar coat anything yet worried how intense Esri was becoming.

"It all comes down to people wanting more money, doesn't it, Dad?"

"Yeah, a lot does. There're many, many people who don't have enough to eat or stay warm and healthy. That would make anyone feel desperate. And then there are others who have a lot of money yet never seem to have enough and keep grabbing for more, cheating and short-changing others however they can."

"What about us?"

"Well, things are definitely tight for us right now. It's hard to find good, decent-paying work, and the price of everything keeps going up. We don't own a car. We don't go out much to movies or do things that cost money. But we manage to pay rent and have enough to eat, and we're fortunate to live in a country with decent education and healthcare. And, Esri, we have each other and all the good people we know, many in this apartment building. You and I haven't talked a lot about your Mom dying. I still struggle so much thinking about her," he paused. "Losing her was so big. I thought I would never be able to move beyond always feeling sad. But you know, sweetie, it also made me hold on to moments when things are good and not take them for granted. And those moments come from people, especially you and Jilly, not things we buy."

"I wish you didn't have to work so much."

"Yeah, me too, but maybe in time that will change." He hesitated. "There's something I've been wanting to talk to you about."

"Randi?"

"Yeah, I guess you've noticed I've been coming home later on Sundays. Randi and I've been going out for coffee, getting to know each other. I know you don't seem to like her that much. She's kind of stayed away since Jilly's birthday. She could tell you weren't so happy about having her here. But if you got to know her better, you'd feel more comfortable around her. I want to have her over every so often, maybe for supper sometimes. She usually doesn't start working until late. Esri, no one will ever replace your Mom, ever. But I miss being in a relationship. I'm not saying that Randi is going to be a permanent part of our lives, but I'd like to see where it might go. Jilly sure likes her."

"I'll try, Dad. It's hard seeing you with someone, though I know I have to get over it. I don't want you to be alone the rest of your life or anything. So sure, bring her for supper sometimes, but can you promise me that she won't be a part of our birthday celebration? At least this time?" Esri and Joe were born on the same day and their birthdays were coming up.

"Ok, I'm all right with that. Now, let's go to bed. I'm really proud of you, Esri, and how you're thinking about what's going on in the world. Not many kids do that, or adults either for that matter. We get so caught up in ourselves. Good for you, kiddo. Keep it up, but don't let it overwhelm you either." He gave her a hug.