Clea's Garden

In the October sun, Clea's backyard was an explosion of dazzling autumn colour. Her yard, surprisingly large for a city lot, was filled with magnificent old trees and dense groupings of shrubs and plants. Fanciful vine-covered arbors created doorways to half-hidden nooks. Mosses, still brilliant green, outlined the irregular shaped stones on the pathways. It was like walking through a series of outdoor rooms with surprises at every turn.

Near the house was an open space where Clea had a large vegetable garden. Pumpkins and varieties of squash and gourds in many shapes and colours were sitting and waiting to be harvested.

Esri and Jilly looked around in wonder. Clea pointed out the grapevines, fruit trees, and identified many plants they had never heard of. Everything had a use, whether to eat or drink or heal or simply for beauty. She pointed out which were the plants that were coming into their own now in the fall.

Esri couldn't remember even a tenth of what Clea told them but was excited and amazed. Jilly twirled and laughed. It was like a fairyland for her.

Esri asked, "How far back does your yard go?"

"All the way to the ravine. It overlooks Taylor Creek though you can't see too much of the ravine until all the leaves are down. It's a pretty steep drop. In the springtime, there are lots of wildflowers in the forest. You two will have to come back and see them," said Clea.

Clea watched the children exploring her outdoor world. "Esri, are you by chance looking for work? I could surely use help taking care of my yard. It's all gotten to be a bit much for me. And, during the winter there is much to do indoors, with preparing teas and breads. Is that something that interests you or would you have time?"

"I would love to have a job on the weekends, but my Dad often works and I need to be free to take care of Jilly."

"Bring her with you. That would be no problem. How about Saturdays? Say, 10 to 3, and you and Jilly could have lunch with me."

"Saturdays would work. But I have to ask my Dad."

"Bring him here and we can talk. He can meet me and, if he's agreeable, the three of us can work out a fair wage, the work, and the types of things I want you to do. I have lots to entertain Jilly. I'm sure she'll be no trouble."

"Wow, that would be great, Clea. I'm not sure how my Dad will feel about it but I'll bring him soon."

"Do. I'm sure it will work out fine. Bring him anytime. I'll be here."

Jilly listened intently, uncharacteristically quiet. She walked over to Clea, patted her leg. "He'll come, Clea, Daddy is a berry nice man and Esri is the best big sister in the whole world."

Clea smiled down at Jilly. "I look forward to meeting your dad and seeing more of you."

Esri and Jilly said goodbye. They hoped too they would be coming back - often. It felt like the beginning of something special.

Clea waved goodbye at her front door and watched them walk down her sidewalk to the street. She reached into her pocket and fingered the cotter pin from the front wheel of her bundle buggy.