Barsa's Bode

Seeing Barsa in the group of newcomers, Zura knew they had nothing to fear from them. She and the others at Flat Rocks worked at welcoming them. They built up the fire, set-up places to sit, brought food and teas. The young man carrying the child, a girl close to Fenti-Dumu's age, kept her in his arms. Barsa convinced the young man to let Zura give the child tea, apply a salve to her chest, and feed her a little bone marrow.

The other newcomers were anxious and frequently spoke to Barsa for reassurance. Barsa, meanwhile, could not stop smiling.

It was quite a gathering that night at Flat Rocks. So many stories to tell, Zura and Barsa's reunion, the scouting party's journey, the newcomers' stories, and the events at Flat Rocks – building the Thinking Circle, Skywatching, and the successful antelope hunt.

It was confusing as not everyone could understand each other. Those who could, helped with translation. The scouting party and the newcomers had spent enough time together that they understood the basics of each other's languages. Though he had not used it for many years, Barsa remembered his first language from growing up with Zura. On their long walk, he worked diligently with Dagan to learn the language of Flat Rocks.

All of the excited voices created a wall of sound. Finally, Nagar and Zura, with Barsa's help translating, convinced everyone to quiet down. They would go around the circle, one at a time, helping each other with translation. The bounty from the antelope meant that there was plenty to eat for all. Though the scouting party and newcomers were tired from their long walk, few people around the fire went to sleep before Sun-Man rose.

Nagar suggested, "Let's begin with Zura and Barsa's story, and then the story of the newcomers and how they survived the Ash Rain."

Zura began, "My mother had three children. I came first, then Barsa and finally, a little sister who died of a sickness when she was younger than Fenti-Dumu. Our mother was a wise woman, an elder, a Skywatcher, a healer and a skilled hunter. She knew how to read the tracks and signs of the animals and the cycles of the plants. Her mate was also knowledgeable of many things. They taught Barsa and me everything they knew until their End Days came.

"Barsa and I were as one for many years. When we were old enough, we began to go to the trading places and meet Others. I did not go as often but preferred staying at our bode, Skywatching in the Thinking Circle and healing when it was needed. Barsa liked to go trading, seeing new places, and meeting new people, learning their words. He started going farther and farther away, but he always came back. Then he met a young woman. He came back but could not forget her and so he left and we never saw him again. We heard that her family moved farther away and he went with them. That was a long time ago, but I think about him every day. And now he has come to live with me again at Flat Rocks. This is truly a welcome sign from the Ancients."

She spoke in the language of Flat Rocks, Barsa understood enough and knew the story well enough to translate to the newcomers. When Zura was done, the newcomers started talking amongst themselves.

Barsa spoke, "Not everyone wants to stay. We came to get help from you, Zura, for the little girl, Dara, and we understand there's a woman here who knows much about helping mothers when babies come."

Zura asked, "Did you leave others behind?"

"No, everyone else is dead."

"Then stay with us here. These are good people. But we're too few to survive easily. And you are too few alone."

"You're right. As always," and he smiled at her. "But some are not sure. Let us stay here for a while, wait until Wilki's baby is born. Maybe little Dara will get better and then we'll see what happens."