Little Thrush Birds

At the last bodefire before The Parting, Esri wanted to spend the night singing songs, listening to stories, and sit next to Zura for hours so she would always remember what that felt like. As people started drifting off to their sleeping spots, Esri sought out Riga and Hanu and spoke with them until late in the night. Though she felt they wanted to join The Parting, they still had not committed. She hoped it was to prevent Ulun from knowing their plans, yet she couldn't be certain.

Esri slept a few hours, and Zura woke her in time to see the first stars of Fighting Cat on the horizon before Sun-Man appeared. Esri thought about the morning long ago when she and Zura and Dagan started the long walk from their old bode and all that had happened to them since then. It was unbearable to think that she might never see Zura again. If The Parting group walked to the Ancients' Land of the Rising Sun, that would take them far, far away - too far to ever return to Flat Rocks.

Zura urged the Parting group not to linger. Ulun, Carthan, Otom, and a few others from their bode were still sleeping and everyone moved quietly to avoid waking them. Riga and Hanu went to stand with the Parting group.

Barsa said to Riga and Hanu, "We'll start. The rest of you come soon. We have far to walk today." He embraced Zura.

Zura said, "The Travelers were good to bring us together again." Barsa, Riga, and Hanu began to walk.

Esri looked at Zura, "How is it that Ulun and the others are still asleep?"

Zura smiled, "Sometimes the fates need a little help. Go now, songbird. I have given Grilu a Sun-Man Stick to keep for your walk and you have the Sky Bones, yes? Don't look back. Think about where you're going, not what you're leaving behind. You and Grilu must make a song of your journey and now that the little thrush birds have returned, they will carry it back to me. Whenever I hear them, I'll know that everything is well with you."

And the rest of The Parting group left. Esri and Grilu brought up the rear. They held hands and began to sing. Zura watched them go. Even after she could neither see nor hear them, she kept standing and looking.

Sela gently pulled Zura's arm, "Come, we can't see them anymore. It will make you sad to keep watching."

"Wait."

Far off, bounding out of the underbrush following after the Parting group, they saw a large, white cat.

"Look, Zura! Grilu's cat!" said Sela.

"She'll keep them safe and prevent Ulun or any of the other Violent Ones from trying to follow them. Come, Sela, now we can go. Ulun and the others from his bode will sleep for a few more hours, but we'll have much to do when they wake up."