Nicole and Billy

Saturday morning, Esri lounged in bed reading a little but mainly thinking about her dreams. Joe was at work and Jilly slept overnight at Nasima's. Farhana said Esri could pick Jilly up after working at Clea's. Someone rapped loudly at the front door of the apartment. Esri got out of bed and peered through the front door eyehole. It was her neighbor, Nicole, with her 6-month-old baby, Billy. Nicole was crying.

Esri opened the door, "Nicole, come in. Are you ok?"

"Oh, Esri. I'm sorry. Did I get you out of bed? Is Joe here? I tried my girlfriend, Ashley but she wasn't home. I didn't know where else to turn."

"No, my Dad's at work. They're doing extra time to finish a job. Come sit down."

"Oh, I was hoping he could help me and talk to Darren. I don't know what to do," Nicole's voice quavered.

"Can I help?"

"I don't think so, but can I stay here for a little while? I need to get out of the apartment and . . . I don't know what. . ."

"Do you want something to drink? We have some apple juice."

"Yes, thank you, Esri. That would be nice."

"Go on, sit down, Nicole. It's fine. I'll be right back."

Esri came back with the juice, handed Nicole a box of tissues, picked up Billy, and stood swaying with him in her arms.

"I so miss talking with your mother. She was such a good friend. She helped me a lot when I started working at the dental clinic and then your dad helped Darren get a job. I really need help." She started crying again.

Nicole dabbed her eyes and spoke between sobs, "You probably know Darren lost his job recently. We've been fighting – a lot. I want to go back to work at the clinic, and Darren could look after Billy. Just for a while until we figure out what to do. I don't know how else we can pay our rent or buy food. But oh no, he has his big, manly pride. He's not going to stoop to staying home looking after a baby. He's borrowing money. I know he borrowed from your dad to pay the rent. It's stupid. We can't go on like this, but he won't listen to me. We're having terrible fights. He . . . he does more than yell sometimes." Nicole looked down. "I was really frightened this morning. It's why I left. I'm so ashamed. I didn't know where else to go. I thought maybe Joe could talk to Darren."

Esri felt unsure what to do. "My dad won't be back until late this afternoon, but you're welcome to stay here. I have to go to my job soon and then I'll pick up Jilly. We should be back by 3 or so. Why not stay here, Nicole? We have lots of food. You can help yourself."

"I'm sorry to lay this on you. You're too young to have to hear all this. You're such a sweet girl - kind, like your parents."

"I wish I could help you, but maybe my dad will think of something. But really, hang out here for a while." Billy had fallen asleep in Esri's arms. She handed him back to Nicole.

"It's very kind of you. I think I may stay for a bit."

Esri left shortly to go to Clea's. She was so wrapped up thinking about Nicole that when she stepped off the elevator she nearly ran right into Jerome, who was waiting in the lobby.

Oh god, what could she say to him. "Uh, hi."

"Hey, hi, friend of Luka's, right?"

"Yeah"

"Well, I could use a little company. As usual, the wheelchair van is over an hour late, thanks to our brilliant mayor who decided to cut more money from the wheelchair van budget. You in a hurry, friend of Luka's?"

"I'm going to work, but I have a little time." Oh god, thought Esri.

"You're a singer too, aren't you?"

"No, not really."

"I thought I heard you singing at a school concert once, a few years ago. At my kid sister's school. Didn't you do a solo? I thought it was you."

"Oh, right. I did."

"You've got a great voice. You still singing?" Jerome grinned at Esri.

"No . . . I . . . uh . . . after my mom died. . ."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean . . ."

"It's ok."

Just then the van pulled up.

"Ah, my ride at last. So what's your name, friend of Luka's?"

"Esri."

"Esri, nice talking to you. Start singing again – you've got a gift."

"Ok, thanks."

Holy, Esri was stunned that Jerome remembered hearing her sing. He was probably just being nice but still. Not so scary to talk to after all.

It was turning out to be an eventful morning. Esri's thoughts returned to Nicole's distressing situation. If only her dad had been home when Nicole came with Billy.

As soon as Clea saw Esri, she knew something was troubling her.

"Are you ok, dear?"

"Yes, no. Can I talk to you about something? It's pretty private but you won't tell anybody, will you?"

"No, no, of course not, you know that. Come, let's sit down, I've just made a nice pot of tea and pulled some muffins out of the oven."

They sat at the large kitchen table with the November sun streaming in the window and the warm smell of the fresh baked muffins in the air. Willa claimed a spot on Esri's lap, purring so loudly it made Esri laugh.

Clea laughed too, "She really likes you. I think even more than me though I'm the one who feeds her. Fickle cat. Now, what's on your mind?"

Esri told her the whole story about Nicole and the fights with Darren, how scared Nicole was, and how confused Esri felt about what to do.

Esri finished. Clea looked out the window and murmured, "That shouldn't be. We need a Mending."

"What do you mean? Mending?"

Clea looked back at Esri, patted her hand. "Oh, thinking about how you can help Nicole and Darren. It sounds like what you did was the right thing. It's always good when two people are having a heated argument that's going nowhere to separate them for a while. Let everyone cool down. If people are not agreeing and keep going at each other, back and forth, they can end up saying and doing things that are hurtful and sometimes harmful. Do you think your dad will be able to help?"

"I don't know. My Dad is worried about losing his job too. But he's a calmer guy than Darren. And I think that Darren would listen to my Dad but what can my Dad tell Darren? To be honest, I don't think Darren is the type of guy who could deal with looking after a baby."

"I'm sure with a little support, he could learn to enjoy being with his baby. It's the most important job there is, helping a small one flourish."

"I'm so angry with Darren. I want to yell at him and tell him not to be such a jerk but I know it won't do any good. He's freaked out about losing his job. I'm scared for Nicole and little Billy."

"Maybe your dad will be able to help, at least to get them to talk calmly with each other."