First Parting

Esri leaned over Nagar, "How do we divide the Violent Ones?"

"You must . . . or it is . . . over. Riga . . . can . . . help." And Nagar fell back and never again opened her eyes or said another word. Her breathing became increasingly laboured. The three women stayed near her. Saba rested Nagar's head on her lap, and Esri and Zura held Nagar's hands.

Gradually, all of Flat Rocks gathered around Nagar, paying their respects. Some only knew her as an ailing, sometimes crotchety, old woman, but all of them understood that it was Nagar and Zura who were behind the Agreements that made them feel safe and more hopeful than they ever thought possible.

Nagar stopped breathing.

Zura said, "Look, the Evening Star is up. It's come for Nagar."

Saba and Esri prepared Nagar's body, and she was buried near Dara's grave. Though the bode had long known that Nagar's death was imminent, it cut them deeply and stirred up painful memories of others who had died.

Esri and Zura wanted nothing more than to spend days mourning Nagar, and Dagan, but the urgency of Nagar's last words plagued them.

Zura said, "At first, I was glad to hear that the Violent Ones are leaving. But Nagar is right about Ulun and the Violent Ones. If they all go, they will find others to make into slaves and kill those who fight them. And once their bode grows large and strong, they will come back to Flat Rocks and harm us. It may not happen quickly, but it will happen."

Esri said, "Nagar said 'divide them.' I've been thinking about that and thinking that without Ulun, the other Violent Ones could be like Geslo. Riga says Hanu is good to her. I wonder how Hanu might be if he was not around Ulun?"

Zura was thoughtful. "We've talked in the last days about starting another bode. New babies are coming. The children are growing. Before long we'll be too many here. A good place for the new bode would be in the direction of the Rising Sun."

"And some would go with Ulun's group?"

"Divide Ulun's group. Convince some to stay at Flat Rocks and some to go to the new bode."

Esri mused, "Ah, yes, if Ulun knows many are leaving, he may see it as an opportunity to take over Flat Rocks. Geslo says that what Ulun covets most is Flat Rocks, but he knows we are too many. Geslo thinks that even if Ulun goes toward the Rising Sun, he still wants to come back and take over Flat Rocks someday. If Ulun knows there will be a Parting soon, maybe we can convince him and the rest of his bode to join Flat Rocks."

Zura said, "We need to make sure that it's a good division for the Parting between those staying and those going so that the Agreements remain strong in both. And then, work at dividing the Violent Ones between Flat Rocks and the new bode. The two bodes must be far apart . . ." Zura's eyes filled with tears, "It could mean that you and I will have to separate."

"I know" Esri said.

They continued the conversation with the Elders Council. Initially, many wanted to let the Violent Ones leave, but they could also see the problems that could cause later on.

Zura asked, "How do we get the Violent Ones to agree to pledge to the Agreements, join Flat Rocks, and then divide them at the Parting?"

Barsa said, "It's all about Ulun. He tells them what to do. How do we get him to agree? He wants to keep all the power."

Piram said, "He'll agree if he feels he is getting more power."

Saba said, "We can't give him more power."

"I said if he feels he's getting more power."

Esri looked at Piram and nodded. "Maybe Geslo could help us understand Ulun and how we could talk to him."