#4 GRILU's CAT - All Made Up

"I'm seven! I'm seven! I'm seven!"

"Jilly, stop yelling and calm down!"

"I've been quiet for hours and hours and let you sleep like Daddy told me."

"What time is it?"

"The clock says 9 – 0 - 2. You have to get up now. We have to get ready for my party."

"When did you get up?"

"7 – 1 – 5"

"Almost 2 hours. What have you been doing?"

"Watching TV and I got a bowl of cereal all by myself, like you showed me. I'm seven now. I can do everything."

"Okay, I guess that's okay. Here, let me give the birthday girl a hug."

Esri was impressed. Not too much of a mess in the kitchen, only a little spilled milk. Joe was at his Sunday cleaning job. It was Jilly's birthday today and this afternoon four of Jilly's friends were coming over for a party. Jilly wanted to invite more, but Joe and Esri convinced her that it would be too crowded in their little apartment. Joe promised a big surprise for Jilly's party. Esri didn't know what he had planned. He was even taking care of the cake. He asked Esri to pick up ice cream and organize treat bags for the guests.

Esri expected to see her dad by noon. The party was starting at one. 12:30 and still no Joe. At 12:45 he arrived – with Randi, decked out as usual in trendy clothes, perfect make-up, in a cloud of expensive-smelling perfume. Joe was carrying a large box that looked like it came from a fancy bakery. Randi carried an overnight-sized bag.

"Randi! Randi! Randi!" Jilly yelled.

"Happy birthday, Jilly. I'm glad you're so happy to see me."

"Randi wanted to keep it as a surprise," said Joe.

Esri was surprised. Shocked was more like it. They had seen Randi a few times skating at Harbourfront but coming to their apartment? For Jilly's birthday? That was getting more familiar than Esri was comfortable with. No wonder Joe and Randi wanted it to be a surprise. If Joe had asked her ahead of time, Esri would not have agreed. This was treading too far into their family.

Joe looked at Esri and raised his eyebrows. "Randi's got a fun plan for the party."

Esri nodded. She'd try to be nice to Randi, if having her at the party made Joe and Jilly happy.

In a few minutes the four party guests arrived. Randi gathered Jilly and the other little girls in a circle and brought out her bag, which was filled with make-up. Her treat was showing the girls how to put on make-up. She started with Jilly, helped her pick eyeshadow, lipstick colors, then paired off the girls and they practiced putting make-up on each other.

Randi also brought a curling iron and several different hair pieces and extensions to create an array of hair-styles. She took pictures of the girls and promised to print off colored copies for them that she'd give to Joe and he could pass them on.

"Esri, what about you? Let Randi fix you up," said Jilly.

"Ah, no, that's okay."

"Come on, pretty please. It's my birthday. You look so plain."

Randi said, "We won't force her, Jilly. She looks lovely just as she is. Though I would be happy to make you up, Esri. I'll be quick. You might be surprised how nice it looks."

Joe looked at Esri. "Okay, but not too much," said Esri. She didn't like standing so close to Randi. God, that perfume.

Randi worked quickly applying make-up, and using a couple of strategically placed combs, swept Esri's hair up on one side.

"You look great, Es," said Joe. He leaned close to her. "I'll go get the cake ready." There was a knock on the door. "Can you get that?"

It was Luka - with Jerome. Oh great.

"Oh my god, Esri! What happened to you?" Luka bellowed.

"Shut up, Luka. We're just goofing around for Jilly's party." Esri was mortified.

Jerome smiled. "Well, that's kinda perfect for what we want to talk to you about. But it sounds like you're busy."

"Yeah, it's Jilly's birthday party. We're about to do the cake. Do you want to come in?" Though Esri really didn't want them to stay as she felt that she probably looked ridiculous.

"Thanks, but I've got some people I need to see. Luka, maybe you can stay and explain what's up," said Jerome.

Luka laughed, "I think I'll take a pass too. I'm not that good at that princess talk. I'll come back in a little while."

"They'll be gone in a couple of hours. Come by after supper, Luka." God, she was embarrassed. She was relieved when they left, but wondered what they had come to talk to her about.

Joe came out of the kitchen with the cake, also Randi's doing. Esri had never seen such a fancy birthday cake. It must have cost a bundle, Esri thought. Jilly was over the moon about everything Randi did. Thankfully, Randi also showed the girls how to remove most of the make-up. Esri was worried what their parents would think when they picked their daughters up if they were painted up like little beauty queens.

Before Esri wiped her make-up off, she went to look at herself in the mirror. Yes, she looked like a lot of the popular girls at school, but she still hated it. She was relieved to wipe it off and relieved when the party ended and that Randi did not hang around after Jilly's friends left.

"Randi, please, please stay. That was the best party ever. Thank you!" Jilly gave Randi a big hug.

"I do have to get going. I'm glad you enjoyed everything, Jilly. It was my pleasure. I'll see you next Sunday, Joe," Randi touched his arm. Joe walked her to the door. He briefly put his hand on her shoulder as she left.

The phone rang. "God, is that Luka already? I'll get it," said Esri. "Hello"

"Hey, hot babe."

"Luka, please. Don't start. What do you want?"

"Okay, okay, you don't have to get so angry. I'm calling about something extremely cool, and it will make you and me a bunch of money."

"What?"

"This promoter guy who thinks Jerome is the next big thing wants to use one of his songs in a commercial and thought it would be cool to have a bunch of kids from Jerome's 'hood in it – give it an 'authentic' feel as he says. It involves some singing so I suggested you, and Jerome thought that was totally great. And we'll get paid! And, this is so cool - it's for Dragon Garb and we'll probably be able to keep some of the clothes after."

"Whoa, ok, yeah, that does sound pretty cool. And, Dragon Garb, that's a big deal. Jerome must be psyched. But I'll have to check with my Dad. When? And what about Ada? Though it's probably not her thing."

"I asked her but, you're right. She's not that comfortable performing in front of people, and also thinks her folks would probably say no. You know they're pretty strict. But you'll do it, won't you?"

"If you're sure that it's ok with Jerome and everyone else who'll be there. Is Brianna going to do it?"

"I assume so. Look, if Jerome's cool with you, then the rest of them will be too."

"And am I going to have to get all made up and wear something dumb?" asked Esri.

"Like a tight little skirt? I dunno, maybe, maybe not, 'cause part of the idea is to have a bunch of different looks, and anyway it's really good money."

"And when?"

"They want to shoot the commercial next weekend. It could take a chunk of Saturday and Sunday."

"I'm usually at Clea's but I'm sure I can figure something out with her."