So Unsure, We Reach For Something Strong

The short brunette towered over Layne, anger stricken across her face as she watched him cry out for help.  He was paralyzed, body sinking into the sand on the beach.  He screamed as he watched Demri glare at him, her dark eyes growing larger and larger, beginning to appear like a demented animated character.

"WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON, DEMRI?!" Layne shouted, his face contorted from the pain.  She continued to stand still.  The beach that before seemed like an oasis to him morphed into a scorching hot inferno.  The coconut trees were barren, the ocean water a murky brown.  It smelled of sulfur.  "WHAT IS GOING ON?!" Layne continued, weeping as he felt his body sink deeper and deeper into the quicksand.

"You need to help her, Layne," Demri growled, her eyes as large as two grapefruits.  They began to glow a demonic yellow, making Layne shriek all the more.  "You couldn't bother to help me.  This is your chance to redeem yourself."

"Are you talking about Nicky?!" Layne asked, shocked as he watched Demri nod her head.  "But the girl is fucking CRAZY! She had someone kill her own dad! She doesn't even fucking eat?!  How the fuck am I going to help her--"

Demri laughed mockingly at him, now crouching down and huddling over the edge of the hole Layne was getting sucked into.  "Many people say the same about you.  If it wasn't for Mike, this would've happened..."

Layne sunk deeper into the hole, crying as he watched Demri begin to vanish.  "What would've happened?!  What are you talking about--"

It went pitch-black for a moment, Layne's body feeling weightless.  His screams echoed through this strange vortex.  Suddenly everything went mute.

His eyes searched around the strange environment he was caught in.  When he saw the familiar couch & television set, he felt his heart skip a beat.

"Why am I in my condo...?" he wondered to himself.

An excruciatingly thin man stumbled into the living room of his condo and fell onto the couch, flicking on the TV.  He looked dirty & old.  His hair was long & stringy & matted.  The tattered clothes he wore was way too baggy on him & stained with blood & yellow mucous.  Layne watched the strange man as he pulled off his sweater, revealing the bones that protruded from him...the track marks on his waist and arms.

"Who the fuck is this...?  Why is he in my condo, what the fuck?" Layne muttered.  He watched the strange man as he went into Layne's drug stash, making Layne scream & yell at him to stop.  It was like Layne's voice was muted though.  The emaciated man prepared his needle, mixing H with blow in the spoon.  After he tapped out the air bubbles in his syringe, he glared up at the ceiling, right where Layne was hovering.

Layne didn't recognize who he was at first, until he peered into those huge, sunken blue eyes that bled misery and desperation.

"...am I watching myself?" Layne asked, hovering closer to look at the man.  It was, indeed, himself.  Only all of his teeth were gone.  He already smelled like a corpse.  Layne watched the man (who was himself...) close his eyes, tears rolling down his sharp cheek bones.

"...please, dear god, just take me..." The toothless, strung-out Layne muttered from the couch.  Right when he jabbed the needle into the jugular in his neck, Layne screamed at him.  It was too late though.

The corpse-like body slumped over after injecting the deadly concoction.  He was dead.  Layne continued to hover over his own dead body, screaming and crying as he watched the strung-out version of himself slowly decay.

Demri suddenly popped up infront of him, everything around them vanishing and turning into light.  "HELP HER OR YOULL DIE LIKE THIS!" She screamed, her eyes beaming crimson red.